Jan 15, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
The Athletics just added Grant Balfour to help strengthen their bullpen yesterday, but it appears that they aren’t done yet. Major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that the club is also pushing to sign Brian Fuentes.
Fuentes, 35, posted a 2.81 ERA and 47/20 K/BB ratio over 48 innings between the Angels and Twins last season. He held left-handed batters to a .128/.222/.149 batting line in 58 plate appearances last season and hasn’t given up a home run to a left-handed batter since the 2008 season. Fuentes, a California native, qualified as a Type B free agent this winter, but wasn’t offered arbitration by the Twins.
Rosenthal hears that Fuentes will likely command a two-year deal in the range of $12 million. He’s also drawing strong interest from the Blue Jays, who would likely give him an opportunity to win the ninth-inning gig, as opposed to Oakland, where Andrew Bailey is an established and elite closer.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)