Jan 15, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
The Athletics just added Grant Balfour to help strengthen their bullpen yesterday, but it appears that they aren’t done yet. Major league sources tell Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that the club is also pushing to sign Brian Fuentes.
Fuentes, 35, posted a 2.81 ERA and 47/20 K/BB ratio over 48 innings between the Angels and Twins last season. He held left-handed batters to a .128/.222/.149 batting line in 58 plate appearances last season and hasn’t given up a home run to a left-handed batter since the 2008 season. Fuentes, a California native, qualified as a Type B free agent this winter, but wasn’t offered arbitration by the Twins.
Rosenthal hears that Fuentes will likely command a two-year deal in the range of $12 million. He’s also drawing strong interest from the Blue Jays, who would likely give him an opportunity to win the ninth-inning gig, as opposed to Oakland, where Andrew Bailey is an established and elite closer.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)