Jan 15, 2011, 8:58 AM EDT
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, who has been all over this story, Fox has advanced Dodgers owner Frank McCourt money in order to help cover the team’s operating expenses.
Fox owes the Dodgers $35 million for television rights this year, $37 million next year and $39 million in 2013, according to court documents.
Naturally, many find the timing as curious, such as Andy Dolich, a former top executive with the San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Athletics and Memphis Grizzlies.
“It’s a bit odd, because the people and the entities that own these teams usually have the money to operate the team well into the future,” said Dolich, who emphasized that he has not reviewed the Dodgers’ finances or how the McCourt divorce might have affected them.
“Maybe it’s not odd, in terms of what’s going on, but I haven’t heard of a lot of teams that do that.”
Shaikin reports that McCourt has discussed a new television deal with Fox that would likely give him the money he needs to settle his divorce case, but as I wrote last week, Commissioner Bud Selig has the right to reject any such deal.
On a related note, yesterday a judge finalized his ruling in which he threw out a post-nuptial agreement that would have provided McCourt with full ownership of the team.
And so, McCourt is now covered in the short-term, but unless something changes, it still looks like an eventual sale of the team is inevitable.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 10
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)