Jan 15, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
As Aaron wrote yesterday, Jim Thome will make $3 million guaranteed with the chance for an additional $3 million in performance-based incentives as part of his new contract with the Twins, but according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the veteran slugger was offered more than $4 million by the Rangers.
So yes, Thome did leave money on the table here, but as he told Rosenthal yesterday, he simply preferred Minnesota over Texas because of its closer proximity to his family in Chicago.
“If we’ve got a day game at home (on a Sunday), and we’re going from Minnesota to Detroit, Cleveland or Kansas City — or Chicago, of course — it gives me an opportunity to slip home on a Monday off-day instead of not seeing my kids for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks,” Thome told FOXSports.com.
Pretty easy call, really.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)