Jan 15, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
As Aaron wrote yesterday, Jim Thome will make $3 million guaranteed with the chance for an additional $3 million in performance-based incentives as part of his new contract with the Twins, but according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the veteran slugger was offered more than $4 million by the Rangers.
So yes, Thome did leave money on the table here, but as he told Rosenthal yesterday, he simply preferred Minnesota over Texas because of its closer proximity to his family in Chicago.
“If we’ve got a day game at home (on a Sunday), and we’re going from Minnesota to Detroit, Cleveland or Kansas City — or Chicago, of course — it gives me an opportunity to slip home on a Monday off-day instead of not seeing my kids for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks,” Thome told FOXSports.com.
Pretty easy call, really.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 0
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 3
- The beauty of belief 30
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 36
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 74
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)