Jan 15, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
As Aaron wrote yesterday, Jim Thome will make $3 million guaranteed with the chance for an additional $3 million in performance-based incentives as part of his new contract with the Twins, but according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the veteran slugger was offered more than $4 million by the Rangers.
So yes, Thome did leave money on the table here, but as he told Rosenthal yesterday, he simply preferred Minnesota over Texas because of its closer proximity to his family in Chicago.
“If we’ve got a day game at home (on a Sunday), and we’re going from Minnesota to Detroit, Cleveland or Kansas City — or Chicago, of course — it gives me an opportunity to slip home on a Monday off-day instead of not seeing my kids for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks,” Thome told FOXSports.com.
Pretty easy call, really.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)