Jan 16, 2011, 4:36 PM EST
Ozzie Canseco isn’t the only guy with baseball ties who is facing DUI charges.
According to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle, infield prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of alcohol by a minor and a traffic violation early Sunday morning in the Atlanta, Georgia area.
DeShields, 18, was a first round pick of the Astros in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft and was given a franchise record $2.15 million signing bonus. With speed and a slick glove, he projects as an eventual big league second baseman and leadoff hitter. He is expected to begin the 2011 season with the Single-A Lexington Legends.
His father, Delino DeShields Sr., was a .268/.352/.377 career hitter over 13 major league seasons with the Expos, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles and Cubs.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)