Jan 16, 2011, 4:36 PM EST
Ozzie Canseco isn’t the only guy with baseball ties who is facing DUI charges.
According to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle, infield prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of alcohol by a minor and a traffic violation early Sunday morning in the Atlanta, Georgia area.
DeShields, 18, was a first round pick of the Astros in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft and was given a franchise record $2.15 million signing bonus. With speed and a slick glove, he projects as an eventual big league second baseman and leadoff hitter. He is expected to begin the 2011 season with the Single-A Lexington Legends.
His father, Delino DeShields Sr., was a .268/.352/.377 career hitter over 13 major league seasons with the Expos, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles and Cubs.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)