Jan 16, 2011, 4:36 PM EDT
Ozzie Canseco isn’t the only guy with baseball ties who is facing DUI charges.
According to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle, infield prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of alcohol by a minor and a traffic violation early Sunday morning in the Atlanta, Georgia area.
DeShields, 18, was a first round pick of the Astros in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft and was given a franchise record $2.15 million signing bonus. With speed and a slick glove, he projects as an eventual big league second baseman and leadoff hitter. He is expected to begin the 2011 season with the Single-A Lexington Legends.
His father, Delino DeShields Sr., was a .268/.352/.377 career hitter over 13 major league seasons with the Expos, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles and Cubs.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 60
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (98)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)