Jan 16, 2011, 4:36 PM EDT
Ozzie Canseco isn’t the only guy with baseball ties who is facing DUI charges.
According to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle, infield prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of alcohol by a minor and a traffic violation early Sunday morning in the Atlanta, Georgia area.
DeShields, 18, was a first round pick of the Astros in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft and was given a franchise record $2.15 million signing bonus. With speed and a slick glove, he projects as an eventual big league second baseman and leadoff hitter. He is expected to begin the 2011 season with the Single-A Lexington Legends.
His father, Delino DeShields Sr., was a .268/.352/.377 career hitter over 13 major league seasons with the Expos, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles and Cubs.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17