Jan 16, 2011, 4:36 PM EDT
Ozzie Canseco isn’t the only guy with baseball ties who is facing DUI charges.
According to Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle, infield prospect Delino DeShields Jr. was arrested and charged with DUI, possession of alcohol by a minor and a traffic violation early Sunday morning in the Atlanta, Georgia area.
DeShields, 18, was a first round pick of the Astros in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft and was given a franchise record $2.15 million signing bonus. With speed and a slick glove, he projects as an eventual big league second baseman and leadoff hitter. He is expected to begin the 2011 season with the Single-A Lexington Legends.
His father, Delino DeShields Sr., was a .268/.352/.377 career hitter over 13 major league seasons with the Expos, Dodgers, Cardinals, Orioles and Cubs.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)