Jan 16, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
At the beginning of last week, Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle published a story about Pablo Sandoval and his offseason workout program. The third baseman, of course, was claiming to be in “the best shape of his life” and ready to turn his career around after a disappointing 2010 campaign.
We were skeptical. Sandoval tried a similar diet and workout plan last winter and he wound up actually putting on more weight in the end.
But take a look at this picture (to the right, or here) that “Kung Fu Panda” is using on his Twitter profile. Schulman said that Sandoval was down 17 pounds. Another reporter claimed he had dropped 22 pounds. We’re thinking it might be like 30 pounds, at least. He looks like half of his former self.
Sandoval exploded onto the major league scene in 2009 with a stellar .330/.387/.556 batting line, 25 homers and 90 RBI. He got MVP votes.
It all took a tumble last year as he battled conditioning issues, but the 24-year-old appears to be serious about making the correct changes.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)