Jan 17, 2011, 8:02 PM EST
Brandon Webb signed an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Rangers earlier this month that will guarantee him $3 million, but now we have learned the some of the details.
He gets $150,000 when he reaches 100 innings. He will $150,000 more for 110 and 120 innings pitched. His bonus goes up to $275,000 for 130 innings pitched.
At 145 innings, he gets another $425,000 and again at 160 and 175 innings pitched. Then it goes to $500,000 for 180, 190, 200 and 210 innings pitched. That’s a total of $4 million worth of bonuses for innings pitched.
In addition, Webb gets $333,333 for 120 days on the active roster and the same amount once he reaches 140 and 160 days active. So if he is on the active roster for at least 160 days, he gets another $1 million. That means Webb could make a total of $8 million by staying healthy all season and pitching at least 210 innings.
Webb could also get bonuses for individual awards, such as winning the Comeback Player of the Year or the American League Cy Young.
We have seen quite a few of these incentive-laden contracts this winter and it’s hard to argue with any of them. If Webb exceeds expectations and resembles anything close to the pitcher he was before his shoulder problems, you can bet the Rangers won’t mind forking over $8 million.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 0
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)