Jan 17, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Brandon Webb signed an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Rangers earlier this month that will guarantee him $3 million, but now we have learned the some of the details.
He gets $150,000 when he reaches 100 innings. He will $150,000 more for 110 and 120 innings pitched. His bonus goes up to $275,000 for 130 innings pitched.
At 145 innings, he gets another $425,000 and again at 160 and 175 innings pitched. Then it goes to $500,000 for 180, 190, 200 and 210 innings pitched. That’s a total of $4 million worth of bonuses for innings pitched.
In addition, Webb gets $333,333 for 120 days on the active roster and the same amount once he reaches 140 and 160 days active. So if he is on the active roster for at least 160 days, he gets another $1 million. That means Webb could make a total of $8 million by staying healthy all season and pitching at least 210 innings.
Webb could also get bonuses for individual awards, such as winning the Comeback Player of the Year or the American League Cy Young.
We have seen quite a few of these incentive-laden contracts this winter and it’s hard to argue with any of them. If Webb exceeds expectations and resembles anything close to the pitcher he was before his shoulder problems, you can bet the Rangers won’t mind forking over $8 million.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (247)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)