Jan 17, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Brandon Webb signed an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Rangers earlier this month that will guarantee him $3 million, but now we have learned the some of the details.
He gets $150,000 when he reaches 100 innings. He will $150,000 more for 110 and 120 innings pitched. His bonus goes up to $275,000 for 130 innings pitched.
At 145 innings, he gets another $425,000 and again at 160 and 175 innings pitched. Then it goes to $500,000 for 180, 190, 200 and 210 innings pitched. That’s a total of $4 million worth of bonuses for innings pitched.
In addition, Webb gets $333,333 for 120 days on the active roster and the same amount once he reaches 140 and 160 days active. So if he is on the active roster for at least 160 days, he gets another $1 million. That means Webb could make a total of $8 million by staying healthy all season and pitching at least 210 innings.
Webb could also get bonuses for individual awards, such as winning the Comeback Player of the Year or the American League Cy Young.
We have seen quite a few of these incentive-laden contracts this winter and it’s hard to argue with any of them. If Webb exceeds expectations and resembles anything close to the pitcher he was before his shoulder problems, you can bet the Rangers won’t mind forking over $8 million.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 24
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 68
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 34
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (108)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)