Jan 17, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Brandon Webb signed an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Rangers earlier this month that will guarantee him $3 million, but now we have learned the some of the details.
He gets $150,000 when he reaches 100 innings. He will $150,000 more for 110 and 120 innings pitched. His bonus goes up to $275,000 for 130 innings pitched.
At 145 innings, he gets another $425,000 and again at 160 and 175 innings pitched. Then it goes to $500,000 for 180, 190, 200 and 210 innings pitched. That’s a total of $4 million worth of bonuses for innings pitched.
In addition, Webb gets $333,333 for 120 days on the active roster and the same amount once he reaches 140 and 160 days active. So if he is on the active roster for at least 160 days, he gets another $1 million. That means Webb could make a total of $8 million by staying healthy all season and pitching at least 210 innings.
Webb could also get bonuses for individual awards, such as winning the Comeback Player of the Year or the American League Cy Young.
We have seen quite a few of these incentive-laden contracts this winter and it’s hard to argue with any of them. If Webb exceeds expectations and resembles anything close to the pitcher he was before his shoulder problems, you can bet the Rangers won’t mind forking over $8 million.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 0
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 4
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)