Jan 17, 2011, 8:02 PM EDT
Brandon Webb signed an incentive-laden one-year contract with the Rangers earlier this month that will guarantee him $3 million, but now we have learned the some of the details.
He gets $150,000 when he reaches 100 innings. He will $150,000 more for 110 and 120 innings pitched. His bonus goes up to $275,000 for 130 innings pitched.
At 145 innings, he gets another $425,000 and again at 160 and 175 innings pitched. Then it goes to $500,000 for 180, 190, 200 and 210 innings pitched. That’s a total of $4 million worth of bonuses for innings pitched.
In addition, Webb gets $333,333 for 120 days on the active roster and the same amount once he reaches 140 and 160 days active. So if he is on the active roster for at least 160 days, he gets another $1 million. That means Webb could make a total of $8 million by staying healthy all season and pitching at least 210 innings.
Webb could also get bonuses for individual awards, such as winning the Comeback Player of the Year or the American League Cy Young.
We have seen quite a few of these incentive-laden contracts this winter and it’s hard to argue with any of them. If Webb exceeds expectations and resembles anything close to the pitcher he was before his shoulder problems, you can bet the Rangers won’t mind forking over $8 million.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)