HBT Weekend Wrapup

Jan 17, 2011, 6:24 AM EST

Divisional Playoffs - New York Jets v New England Patriots Getty Images

Observed about the NFL, based on reading my twitter feed: no one likes any team. I swear, the number of tweets I saw this weekend that were basically “God, I can’t stand Team X,” or “Is it possible for both teams to lose this game?” or “I hate Team X, but I hate Team Y more, so I suppose I hope Team X wins I guess,” was staggering. For every on basic “Go team!” tweet, there were 50 of the others.

Is following the NFL really that negative an experience? Is it all “you suck!”?  Because I really don’t think I could handle that at all. Aside from the occasional eye-roll at yet another hyped-up Yankees-Red Sox series, you never see that in baseball. And even then, the ire is directed more at the network for forcing coverage than it is the teams.

Oh well. Different strokes for different, vastly different sports, one of which is awesome and the other of which seems to bring out the worst in humanity.  Now, the links you missed:

Now, let us begin a week of people saying why the Bears, Packers, Jets and Steelers all suck.

1. Conor_ProBallNW - Jan 17, 2011 at 6:30 AM

“News about Red Sox shortstops is like news about Spinal Tap drummers.”

What, they all died?

• Glenn - Jan 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM

“News about Red Sox shortstops is like news about Spinal Tap drummers.”

At least Spinal Tap never paid their drummers like front men and then paid them to play for other bands.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Myself. I always watch NE playoff games. Only so I can root for whichever team is facing them. Go NY/NJ Jets!!!! Hey, my tax dollars are supporting their buisiness, so I might as well make the most of it….

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Damn I know how to spell business, but for some reason my fingers don’t. Go figure…

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM

My only hope in life (this week) is that the Steelers destroy this scourge on Bergen County and win 108-0. Oh, and that we find a GM to take THE FAT TOAD.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Well Len, not that it would bother me any if that were to happen, but I guess I need to root for the Jets now. I don’t think I need to hear Steeler fans talking about a 7 pack of SB wins. Since 7 packs don’t exist and all. My only real hope this week is to track down some Flyers tickets. My son has been begging me to bring him to a game for a few weeks now.

• Old Gator - Jan 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM

You have a GM to take the FAT TOAD, Len. Call Larry Beinfest and ask him if the Feesh will take a chance on a barely adequate setup specialist for a second division team if the Borg will pay all of his salary above the league minimum in return for some highly questionable minor league lifers and one or two rule five rejects.

Or, you can wait until mid to late July and call him and ask if he’ll make the same deal plus send an idiotically overpaid catcher to you as part of the bargain.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I guess I’ll be playing the conference loyalty card here. The Jets are a New York team (if only in name), so there’s that, plus any team with a Ryan at the helm has my disdain right off the bat. The Steelers? Well, ya know, the whole intrastate thing, plus Teflon Ben.

I guess it’ll have to be either the Packers and their Favrelessness—though Aaron Rodgers is apparently a schmuck (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/16/aaron-rodgers-has-a-lot-to-learn-about-where-his-money-comes-from/)—or the Bears and their 25-year drought, though it’s not anywhere remotely close to being anywhere near as bad as Philly’s 100-season drought.

—Sigh— Bring on the commercials!!!

3. billybeaneismyhero - Jan 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Is it wrong that every time I see a picture of Rex Ryan, I picture him saying, “Hell yeah, I suck toes!”

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Yeah. That’s just wrong. So incredibly, unbelievably and disturbingly wrong. On so many levels.

• billybeaneismyhero - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I’m not saying I enjoy the visual. Quite the opposite actually. I think part of the reason I keep thinking that is because I just watched the “Pop Copy” sketch from the Chappelle Show. That was one of Michael Rapaport’s lines.

4. iranuke - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:40 PM

You need a link to George Carlin’s monologue about the dirrerences between football and baseball.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5709)
  2. M. Kemp (3217)
  3. J. Kang (3079)
  4. C. McGehee (3042)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3022)
  1. J. Upton (2953)