Jan 17, 2011, 6:24 AM EDT
Observed about the NFL, based on reading my twitter feed: no one likes any team. I swear, the number of tweets I saw this weekend that were basically “God, I can’t stand Team X,” or “Is it possible for both teams to lose this game?” or “I hate Team X, but I hate Team Y more, so I suppose I hope Team X wins I guess,” was staggering. For every on basic “Go team!” tweet, there were 50 of the others.
Is following the NFL really that negative an experience? Is it all “you suck!”? Because I really don’t think I could handle that at all. Aside from the occasional eye-roll at yet another hyped-up Yankees-Red Sox series, you never see that in baseball. And even then, the ire is directed more at the network for forcing coverage than it is the teams.
Oh well. Different strokes for different, vastly different sports, one of which is awesome and the other of which seems to bring out the worst in humanity. Now, the links you missed:
- The Yankees would consider trading Joba Chamberlain for a starter. Imagine how much more they’d get for him if they hadn’t run his value straight into the ground.
- FOX is lending Frank McCourt money to keep the Dodgers afloat. Imagine how much more awesome that team would be if he hadn’t run its value straight into the ground.
- 119 players filed for arbitration. Only a dozen or so will actually go through an arbitration hearing. Please, think of all of the attorneys who have had their time wasted drafting unnecessary documents and preparing unused arguments.
- News about Red Sox shortstops is like news about Spinal Tap drummers.
- Ron Santo is going to get a statue at Wrigley Field. The Hall of Fame Veteran’s Committee will hold a vote about whether they like it and ultimately will say, no, they do not.
- Jim Thome left money on the table to stay with the Twins. I didn’t read the article, but I bet if Thome commented on it, the comment started with “Gosh, I …” Even if it didn’t make the article you know he said it and the reporter just dropped that part of the quote.
- Brian Cashman has the Steinbrenners’ full confidence. Observed: whenever something good happens with the Yankees, Cashman is praised as a genius. Whenever something bad happens, it’s “Cashman’s hands are being tied by ownership.” We worry about him sometimes, but it’s actually a pretty sweet gig to be Brian Cashman.
- Ozzie Canseco got a DUI. Watch: Jose will get one next, and it will be way, way better.
- Pablo Sandoval is in the best shape of his life. Or not. Look, I don’t want to hate on Sandoval, but I remember when Oprah went on that crash diet and looked pretty awesome too and that didn’t work out so well. Hell, I remember last winter when people were talking about him being in better shape post-Camp Panda. Yes, the picture is impressive, but I’ll believe the Panda has gotten into great shape when he looks the same in September that he looks in January and when it doesn’t seem like he’s sweating gravy when he goes after a ball at third.
- Joey Votto gets a three-year, $38 million extension from the Reds. Seems like a great deal for the Reds.
- Astros prospoect Delino DeShields Jr. got a DUI. Watch: his dad will get one next, and it will be way, way better.
- Drew Silva is an educated Cardinals fan, and he breaks down the Albert Pujols negotiations for those of us who are neither of those things.
- I used to think that Jim Hendry had pictures of the Cubs’ owners engaged in some scandalous behavior in order to keep his job. Now that he’s had such inexplicable job security across two ownership regimes, I need to think of another explanation.
- The Cardinals wisely decide that having one outfielder out of position is enough.
Now, let us begin a week of people saying why the Bears, Packers, Jets and Steelers all suck.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)