Jan 17, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT
Cabrera was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. The 25-year-old shortstop batted .276/.326/.346 with three home runs, 29 RBI, a .673 OPS and six stolen bases in 425 plate appearances with the Indians last season. He was limited to just 97 games due to a fractured left forearm which required surgery.
With Cabrera out of the way, the Indians still have Shin-Soo Choo, Rafael Perez and Chris Perez eligible for arbitration. It will be interesting to see if the Indians are able to make any headway on a multi-year contract with Choo, who is represented by Scott Boras.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 7
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 129
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 27
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39