Jan 17, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
The Marlins avoided arbitration by agreeing to one-year deals with Leo Nunez and Edward Mujica tonight, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post.
According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Nunez will make $3.65 million plus performance bonuses based on games finished. Nunez earned $2 million last season while posting a 3.46 ERA, 71/21 K/BB ratio and 30 saves in 38 chances. He was removed from the closer role after a nightmare month of August, where he posted a bloated 9.38 ERA and blew three saves, but is expected to regain the ninth-inning gig in 2011.
Mujica was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. The 26-year-old right-hander was acquired from the Padres in November as part of the Cameron Maybin trade. He has a 3.80 ERA and 148/25 K/BB ratio over the past two seasons, but has enjoyed most of his success at the pitcher-friendly PETCO Park.
Interestingly, according to Rodriguez, Nunez will now be the highest paid reliever under Jeffrey Loria’s decade-long run as owner. The previous high was Armando Benitez, who earned $3.5 million with the club during the 2004 season.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)