Jan 17, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
The Marlins avoided arbitration by agreeing to one-year deals with Leo Nunez and Edward Mujica tonight, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post.
According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Nunez will make $3.65 million plus performance bonuses based on games finished. Nunez earned $2 million last season while posting a 3.46 ERA, 71/21 K/BB ratio and 30 saves in 38 chances. He was removed from the closer role after a nightmare month of August, where he posted a bloated 9.38 ERA and blew three saves, but is expected to regain the ninth-inning gig in 2011.
Mujica was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. The 26-year-old right-hander was acquired from the Padres in November as part of the Cameron Maybin trade. He has a 3.80 ERA and 148/25 K/BB ratio over the past two seasons, but has enjoyed most of his success at the pitcher-friendly PETCO Park.
Interestingly, according to Rodriguez, Nunez will now be the highest paid reliever under Jeffrey Loria’s decade-long run as owner. The previous high was Armando Benitez, who earned $3.5 million with the club during the 2004 season.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)