Jan 17, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT
For those of you Cubs fans out there who would like to see general manager Jim Hendry (pictured) sent to work on a goat farm somewhere … I’m sorry but it’s not going to happen.
The “Cubs Convention” was this weekend, and a fan asked Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts “How does Jim Hendry still have a job?”
Ricketts’ answer, as per Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times:
‘‘Over the past year, I’ve had growing confidence in Jim, to be honest,’’ said Ricketts, who spent much of that year evaluating the organization top to bottom. ‘‘He has a good team of people he’s put together. I’m not going to hold [the losses in the playoffs] against him. What I am going to judge him by is how many players we’re consistently bringing up to the major leagues, and are the dollars we’re spending on the big-league team being spent well? . . . I think Jim’s doing a good job. I think we’re starting to see some of the fruits of his labor.’’
As far as judging Hendry on how many minor leaguers he’s developing and how much bang he’s getting for his buck, and I can only assume he means, “starting now.” Unless he’s the kind of owner who thinks 75 wins for $144 million is a bargain.
Ricketts was also asked how he let Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg leave the franchise. (Sandberg lost out to Mike Quade in a bid to replace manager Lou Piniella, then took a job managing the Phillies’ Triple-A club). Again, Ricketts was unapologetic, saying that media reports of the split were “misleading,” and that hiring Quade was the “right decision.”
You can read more of his comments here.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)