Jan 17, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT
For those of you Cubs fans out there who would like to see general manager Jim Hendry (pictured) sent to work on a goat farm somewhere … I’m sorry but it’s not going to happen.
The “Cubs Convention” was this weekend, and a fan asked Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts “How does Jim Hendry still have a job?”
Ricketts’ answer, as per Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times:
‘‘Over the past year, I’ve had growing confidence in Jim, to be honest,’’ said Ricketts, who spent much of that year evaluating the organization top to bottom. ‘‘He has a good team of people he’s put together. I’m not going to hold [the losses in the playoffs] against him. What I am going to judge him by is how many players we’re consistently bringing up to the major leagues, and are the dollars we’re spending on the big-league team being spent well? . . . I think Jim’s doing a good job. I think we’re starting to see some of the fruits of his labor.’’
As far as judging Hendry on how many minor leaguers he’s developing and how much bang he’s getting for his buck, and I can only assume he means, “starting now.” Unless he’s the kind of owner who thinks 75 wins for $144 million is a bargain.
Ricketts was also asked how he let Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg leave the franchise. (Sandberg lost out to Mike Quade in a bid to replace manager Lou Piniella, then took a job managing the Phillies’ Triple-A club). Again, Ricketts was unapologetic, saying that media reports of the split were “misleading,” and that hiring Quade was the “right decision.”
You can read more of his comments here.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 13
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)