Oddly, Cubs owner has ‘growing confidence’ in Jim Hendry

Jan 17, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT

hendry-110116.standard[1]

For those of you Cubs fans out there who would like to see general manager Jim Hendry (pictured) sent to work on a goat farm somewhere … I’m sorry but it’s not going to happen.

The “Cubs Convention” was this weekend, and a fan asked Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts “How does Jim Hendry still have a job?”

Ricketts’ answer, as per Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times:

‘‘Over the past year, I’ve had growing confidence in Jim, to be honest,’’ said Ricketts, who spent much of that year evaluating the organization top to bottom. ‘‘He has a good team of people he’s put together. I’m not going to hold [the losses in the playoffs] against him. What I am going to judge him by is how many players we’re consistently bringing up to the major leagues, and are the dollars we’re spending on the big-league team being spent well? .  .  . I think Jim’s doing a good job. I think we’re starting to see some of the fruits of his labor.’’

As far as judging Hendry on how many minor leaguers he’s developing and how much bang he’s getting for his buck, and I can only assume he means, “starting now.” Unless he’s the kind of owner who thinks 75 wins for $144 million is a bargain.

Ricketts was also asked how he let Cubs legend Ryne Sandberg leave the franchise. (Sandberg lost out to Mike Quade in a bid to replace manager Lou Piniella, then took a job managing the Phillies’ Triple-A club). Again, Ricketts was unapologetic, saying that media reports of the split were “misleading,” and that hiring Quade was the “right decision.”

You can read more of his comments here.

You can follow Bob on Twitter, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. quintjs - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:44 AM

This is the problem when the owner sits so close to the game at ground level. He can’t see his outfield…

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Seriously? I think he just doesn’t want to be on the top of the suspect list when he has him beaten to death with a goat carcass. That’s got to be it.

3. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Jan 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM

As I said before, you don’t go 0 for 102 on talent alone.

4. Old Gator - Jan 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I detect more symptoms of that dread Indonesian prion-vectored goat-borne brain disease, die vloek van der geitbok. Apparently, you can catch that by sitting too close to the field as well as by showering in the clubhouse or by eating your general manager’s brain.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I love Hendry. Soriano’s and Z’s deals were definitely influenced by the Tribune, and those two were elite stars at the time of their deals. Bradley was a bad move, but other than that I am a big Hendry fan. He got guys at the money they demanded while they could demand it, and like most teams those deals do sour a bit.

I’d like to see him spend less, but I also know he needs to keep the team competing at a higher cost as long as he has mega-deals on his roster.
    In other words, why pay Soriano, Z and Ramirez like $50M altogether and not try to put a big strong competitive product on the field? THAT would be the true waste of money.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3941)