Pablo Sandoval’s dieting tips

Jan 17, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT

sandoval tweet

After eating his way out of a starting job last season Pablo Sandoval has shed 20-30 pounds this winter, posting a picture of his slimmed-down self over the weekend that shows him looking like a new man.

That led to a bunch of his Twitter followers asking Sandoval how he lost the weight, so he posted the following dieting tips:

Many fallowers asking me obout the diet…here we go! low carbohydrate and high protein, small quantities, 5 times a day…and trainning 6 days for week

I didn’t edit any of the spelling, because that’s part of Sandoval’s charm on Twitter. He’s been responding to messages from fans while thanking them for being “a great inspiration to keep it up and trainning hard.”

As a fat guy who’s lost 50-plus pounds several times during the past five years only to gain it all back each time, I’m definitely rooting for Sandoval. He’s too talented and too amusing to let food ruin his career.

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

He also seems like a genuinely all a-round nice guy.

I can’t help myself. I’m sick maybe?

• Charles Gates - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Don’t give yourself too much credit, that joke was a piece of cake.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Yes, it was easy as pie, wasn’t it.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Mmmm…caaaaaake…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I hesitate to publicize this, but —sigh— in a related story, http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Man-Shot-for-Eating-Friends-Cake-113894334.html

See, Heyward? Cake is obviously better.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM

It does sound kinda like you have an eating disorder by proxy.

2. Reflex - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Aaron –

I topped out at 288lbs 2.5 year ago. I’m down to 230 or so now and still losing. The trick to not bouncing back is to not lose it too quickly in my experience. Quick losses always come back. The method of losing, for me, was to find something that worked within my already established eating habits rather than in my 30’s trying to establish new ones that required constant vigilence. For me that has meant simply having fewer meals, because when I eat I *eat*. Yes its healthier to have many small meals, but being raised in a Sicilian household, meals were a huge event and I simply am not going to break that mindset. So instead I focused on total calories for a given day, keep it around 2000 or less and don’t worry so much about when and how much I eat at a given sitting.

As for exercise, the issue there is simply time. I work. A lot. When I get home I just don’t have the energy to go to a gym(I tried, I started to hate going home from work and finding excuses to work later even if it just meant putzing around). Instead I have picked up a couple of physical hobbies I had in my teens and early 20’s(roller skating, believe it or not), and just do them once a week or so.

The important thing to remember about weight loss is that it does not have to be drastic, and all the fancy diets are pretty meaningless. The rule is this: Consume fewer calories than you burn. If you do that you are *guaranteed* to lose weight no matter what. It dosen’t even have to be by very much. Consuming a hundred calories less per day than you burn will still give you weight loss of a couple pounds a month or so. Over time, it adds up. And its FAR easier to sustain over time.

Thats my $0.02

PS: I find that drinking tea all day keeps my appetite low. Avoid coffee and lattes and such, tons and tons of calories in that stuff. Tea is just flavored water.

• sportsdrenched - Jan 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM

We’re pretty similar. Jan 09 I topped out at 336. I got down as low as 266. Got sick. Gained about 10 back.

I agree. Make small adjustments until you consistantly have a calorie deficit. Make it a lifestyle change. Don’t get too discouraged about excersise. 80% of weight loss is in the kitchen. I have a saying “You can’t out excercise a bad diet”

However, I do like excerscse so I do.

I hope Kung Fu Panda continues to get IBSoHL. Because I know personally what a problem it can be/is.

• Reflex - Jan 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Very good line there about exercising a bad diet. I got discouraged with exercise when I measured how many calories I burned in an hour at the gym and I realized it was about a single tuna sandwhich. I threw in the towel on the exercise portion, it only makes me physically miserable and I’d rather just skip the tuna sandwhich in the first place.

I picked up skating again because it is exercise I actually enjoy. Once agian its not perfect, but its better than nothing. Everyone I know tries to come up with some ‘perfect’ diet and exercise plan, then fails miserably because its so regimented. Then they give up the entire thing. Like you I started looking at the bigger picture, and took the attitude of “Maybe its not perfect, but staying close to 300lbs is a lot worse for me than having a non-perfect weight loss plan”.

3. Panda Claus - Jan 17, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I’m rooting for him to keep the weight off too. This town isn’t big enough for two Pandas!

4. frankvzappa - Jan 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM

isnt that the atkins diet? i had a friend who lost a ton of weight eating nothing but roast beef dipped in mayo once…sounds perfect but the catch is no booze

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Doesn’t Atkins go totally carb free?

• Reflex - Jan 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Atkins is one thats basically a bounce back diet. You’ll lose a lot of weight, but as soon as you stop you bounce right back. Plus its bad on cholesterol. A key way to test a diet is “Will this diet still work if I invert it?” For instance, do a reverse Atkins, eat nothing but carbs, and you’ll also lost a ton of weight. All these diets do is mess up your ability to properly digest food, thus resulting in weight loss. Not healthy.

I’m a firm believer that you just keep your calories below what an average person of your size burns and you’ll lose weight. Its really simple and still lets you eat whatever you want. Plus its sustainable weight loss.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win