UPDATE: The Manny Ramirez-Angels thing is bogus

Jan 17, 2011, 10:34 AM EST

Chicago White Sox designated hitter Manny Ramirez smiles in the dugout during their MLB game against the Los Angeles Angels in Anaheim

UPDATE: Well, that lasted three minutes. Apparently the Manny-Angels thing was bogus.  Didn’t see Bill Shaikin’s tweet on it last night.  Attention Toronto Star: update your story. Thanks!

10:31: I try to stay 100% on top of everything that’s going on, but sometimes things fall through the cracks.  But usually this kind of thing doesn’t. The Toronto Star saying that the Angels and Manny Ramirez have a deal in place:

But while the signing may have helped solidify the Jays’ bullpen, it appears their chances of acquiring slugger Manny Ramirez have dissipated. Ramirez is believed to be on the verge of signing a one-year deal with Anaheim, with the Angels having reportedly agreed to the deal.

I haven’t seen this anywhere, have you?  Last I saw was that report from Friday when a bunch of teams had reported interest, none more strongly than any other.

Apologies if I’m just whiffing on a report that, say, the L.A. Times already had, but this is the first time I’ve seen anyone saying that the Angels are about to sign Manny.

(thanks to ProudlyCanadian for the heads up)

1. Panda Claus - Jan 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Misinformation involving a Boras client? How could that ever happen?

2. Old Gator - Jan 17, 2011 at 11:12 AM

You young whippersnappers out there won’t recall this, but Manny, like Johnny Damon last year, is beginning to remind me of that woebegone garbage barge that no one would take back a couple decades ago. I can just imagine the Boras tug towing him from team to team and having a warning shot blown across his bow as he approached each stadium parking lot. But I also don’t doubt that Boras knows there are gulls out there someplace.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Crap. I think I vaguely remember that barge. Dammit!!!!

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Come on man, it’s the woebegone one. Think, think!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM

The one on Lake Woebegone? From back in the day?

But I was referring to my seeming—or possibly unseemly—lack of whippersnappery of late.

—Sigh— Hell, I’ve been sighing an awful lot today, too.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Dude. I remember that barge too. And for added flavor, while examining some grey hair popping out of the side of my mop today, I noticed my ears are starting to sport (gasp) hairs. It’s terrible what time is doing to us. Terrible…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM

What’s that? Could ya speak up there? Damn hearing aids don’t work on this blog…

• Panda Claus - Jan 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM

DeBarge? From the ’80′s? Now that’s going back quite aways. I hear Old Gator likes himself some “Rhythm in the Night.”

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM

So…uh…”Who’s Jonny”…?

3. Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I’d like to take the Rangers for 500 Alex.

4. proudlycanadian - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM

The Toronto Star story was not written by their normal baseball writer. I have seen a lot of bogus stories about the Jays that have appeared in the US media (a lot of them emanating from New Jersey), so I guess that we Canadians are owed a mulligan. I certainly did not believe the ESPN Desports story last week that the Jays were one of about 5 teams that were interested in Manny.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Hey yo, watch it there frenchy pants. ;)

• proudlycanadian - Jan 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Frenchy? Mais non monsieur! I rarely have french fries. I had sushi for lunch.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Would it be wrong to say that a lot of stuff emanates from New Jersey?

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Well, from where I’m accustomed to, yes, it would be wrong. But we do have our cities like any other and worse. So technically you’d be correct. But none can match what’s eminating from Proudly Canadian’s breath right now….

Hey PC!! Man has invented fire!!!!

Hey, btw feel confident sleeping at night knowing I’m handling a contract to refurbish a Canadian power plant right now. Muahahahahaha!!!! thunder, lightning, assorted moans from hell and whatnot…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Sorry…I zoned out when you said “assorted moans”

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Yeah I do the same thing when women start talking about their Hormones. I always seem to break it down ito it’s syllables when I pronounce it. Then my eyes glaze over..

• Old Gator - Jan 17, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I don’t much mind women talking about their hormones. But then, women my age – my wife include – are pretty hard pressed to find hormones to talk about. I’ll tell you what did bother me, though – back in the days of my sordid youth: my 225-pound blind date spending most of dinner bemoaning her struggles with anorexia.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 17, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Well, she did struggle with it Gator. Obviously she couldn’t grasp the whole not eating part.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 17, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Now, Jonny, Gator didn’t tell you that she was 6’8″.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4815)