Jan 17, 2011, 2:33 PM EST
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs have traded Tom Gorzelanny to the Nationals for three minor leaguers.
The lefty Gorzelanny was 7-9 with a 4.09 ERA in 29 appearances, 23 of which were starts last season. But now that the Cubs have Matt Garza in the fold to go along with Ryan Dempster, Carlos Zambrano, Randy Wells and Carlos Silva, there wasn’t a huge need for him. If the Cubs want to go with someone besides Silva they can give James Russell starts, as Levine mentions. Gorzelanny is arbitration-eligible this year too, so the Cubs save a couple of bucks by moving him.
For the Nats, Gorzelanny enters into a rotation with Livan Hernandez, Jordan Zimmerman and a lot of anonymity, so he represents an improvement. No sense yet of what they’re giving up, however, so this deal could look better or worse depending on who those minor leaguers are.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)