Jan 17, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that the Cubs have traded Tom Gorzelanny to the Nationals for three minor leaguers.
The lefty Gorzelanny was 7-9 with a 4.09 ERA in 29 appearances, 23 of which were starts last season. But now that the Cubs have Matt Garza in the fold to go along with Ryan Dempster, Carlos Zambrano, Randy Wells and Carlos Silva, there wasn’t a huge need for him. If the Cubs want to go with someone besides Silva they can give James Russell starts, as Levine mentions. Gorzelanny is arbitration-eligible this year too, so the Cubs save a couple of bucks by moving him.
For the Nats, Gorzelanny enters into a rotation with Livan Hernandez, Jordan Zimmerman and a lot of anonymity, so he represents an improvement. No sense yet of what they’re giving up, however, so this deal could look better or worse depending on who those minor leaguers are.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 74
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)