Jan 17, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
I didn’t realize they did this, but this went down over the weekend:
The Baseball Scouts Foundation held its annual “In the Spirit of the Game” fundraiser gala. Stars from baseball and Hollywood teamed up to raise money for the foundation, which exists to help baseball scouts in need of financial help.
That’s pretty awesome. If you read much about scouts you realize that the bulk of the workaday scouts (a) live in their car; (b) eat horrible food; (c) make bad money; and (d) do a lot of the work that ultimately decides if a team is, you know, good or not. It’s thankless but essential work, and the men who do it are mostly unsung. Glad to see that someone is looking out for them.
This is fun too:
Brooks Robinson, Tom Seaver, Joe Garagiola, Robin Yount, Bobby Valentine, Rene, Bill and Marcel Lachemann and Jim Fregosi were among those honored … Larry King, Rob Reiner, James Caan, Robert Wuhl and Ian Ziering were among those representing Hollywood in attendance.
Attention Hollywood: thank you for attending and committing yourself to a worthy cause, but there’s no escaping the fact that your star power is being dwarfed by that of the baseball people. Indeed, I think even half of the workaday scouts in the high-mileage cars have a higher Q-rating than Ian Ziering. And what’s with all the Lachemanns travelling together? I thought that, for national security purposes, they weren’t allowed to all be in the same place at the same time. Kind of like how the Molinas always have to take separate planes.
I’ll never understand Hollywood and their galas.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)