Jan 17, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
I didn’t realize they did this, but this went down over the weekend:
The Baseball Scouts Foundation held its annual “In the Spirit of the Game” fundraiser gala. Stars from baseball and Hollywood teamed up to raise money for the foundation, which exists to help baseball scouts in need of financial help.
That’s pretty awesome. If you read much about scouts you realize that the bulk of the workaday scouts (a) live in their car; (b) eat horrible food; (c) make bad money; and (d) do a lot of the work that ultimately decides if a team is, you know, good or not. It’s thankless but essential work, and the men who do it are mostly unsung. Glad to see that someone is looking out for them.
This is fun too:
Brooks Robinson, Tom Seaver, Joe Garagiola, Robin Yount, Bobby Valentine, Rene, Bill and Marcel Lachemann and Jim Fregosi were among those honored … Larry King, Rob Reiner, James Caan, Robert Wuhl and Ian Ziering were among those representing Hollywood in attendance.
Attention Hollywood: thank you for attending and committing yourself to a worthy cause, but there’s no escaping the fact that your star power is being dwarfed by that of the baseball people. Indeed, I think even half of the workaday scouts in the high-mileage cars have a higher Q-rating than Ian Ziering. And what’s with all the Lachemanns travelling together? I thought that, for national security purposes, they weren’t allowed to all be in the same place at the same time. Kind of like how the Molinas always have to take separate planes.
I’ll never understand Hollywood and their galas.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)