Jan 17, 2011, 5:35 PM EST
I didn’t realize they did this, but this went down over the weekend:
The Baseball Scouts Foundation held its annual “In the Spirit of the Game” fundraiser gala. Stars from baseball and Hollywood teamed up to raise money for the foundation, which exists to help baseball scouts in need of financial help.
That’s pretty awesome. If you read much about scouts you realize that the bulk of the workaday scouts (a) live in their car; (b) eat horrible food; (c) make bad money; and (d) do a lot of the work that ultimately decides if a team is, you know, good or not. It’s thankless but essential work, and the men who do it are mostly unsung. Glad to see that someone is looking out for them.
This is fun too:
Brooks Robinson, Tom Seaver, Joe Garagiola, Robin Yount, Bobby Valentine, Rene, Bill and Marcel Lachemann and Jim Fregosi were among those honored … Larry King, Rob Reiner, James Caan, Robert Wuhl and Ian Ziering were among those representing Hollywood in attendance.
Attention Hollywood: thank you for attending and committing yourself to a worthy cause, but there’s no escaping the fact that your star power is being dwarfed by that of the baseball people. Indeed, I think even half of the workaday scouts in the high-mileage cars have a higher Q-rating than Ian Ziering. And what’s with all the Lachemanns travelling together? I thought that, for national security purposes, they weren’t allowed to all be in the same place at the same time. Kind of like how the Molinas always have to take separate planes.
I’ll never understand Hollywood and their galas.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)