Jan 17, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
I didn’t realize they did this, but this went down over the weekend:
The Baseball Scouts Foundation held its annual “In the Spirit of the Game” fundraiser gala. Stars from baseball and Hollywood teamed up to raise money for the foundation, which exists to help baseball scouts in need of financial help.
That’s pretty awesome. If you read much about scouts you realize that the bulk of the workaday scouts (a) live in their car; (b) eat horrible food; (c) make bad money; and (d) do a lot of the work that ultimately decides if a team is, you know, good or not. It’s thankless but essential work, and the men who do it are mostly unsung. Glad to see that someone is looking out for them.
This is fun too:
Brooks Robinson, Tom Seaver, Joe Garagiola, Robin Yount, Bobby Valentine, Rene, Bill and Marcel Lachemann and Jim Fregosi were among those honored … Larry King, Rob Reiner, James Caan, Robert Wuhl and Ian Ziering were among those representing Hollywood in attendance.
Attention Hollywood: thank you for attending and committing yourself to a worthy cause, but there’s no escaping the fact that your star power is being dwarfed by that of the baseball people. Indeed, I think even half of the workaday scouts in the high-mileage cars have a higher Q-rating than Ian Ziering. And what’s with all the Lachemanns travelling together? I thought that, for national security purposes, they weren’t allowed to all be in the same place at the same time. Kind of like how the Molinas always have to take separate planes.
I’ll never understand Hollywood and their galas.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)