Jan 17, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown tweets that the Yankees are nearing a one-year deal with Andruw Jones. This after a weekend of reports that had the Yankees interested at one turn and balking at the next. Could go either way, really, but there’s a feeling of two steps forward, one step back to all of this, and that the Yankees are shuffling towards having Jones as their designated lefty-masher. He mashed to the tune of .256/.373./.558 against southpaws last year.
Overall he hit .230/.341/.486 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI for the White Sox last season. That’s good, but it’s not enough to get him a full-time look at the DH position with the Bombers thanks to Jorge Posada filling the slot. But between platooning at the corners, days off and injuries, you figure that New York can use Jones about as much as he should be used. Anything more and they’re probably pushing him past his limits.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 36
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)