Jan 17, 2011, 12:32 PM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown tweets that the Yankees are nearing a one-year deal with Andruw Jones. This after a weekend of reports that had the Yankees interested at one turn and balking at the next. Could go either way, really, but there’s a feeling of two steps forward, one step back to all of this, and that the Yankees are shuffling towards having Jones as their designated lefty-masher. He mashed to the tune of .256/.373./.558 against southpaws last year.
Overall he hit .230/.341/.486 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI for the White Sox last season. That’s good, but it’s not enough to get him a full-time look at the DH position with the Bombers thanks to Jorge Posada filling the slot. But between platooning at the corners, days off and injuries, you figure that New York can use Jones about as much as he should be used. Anything more and they’re probably pushing him past his limits.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)