Yankees, Orioles interested in Freddy Garcia

Jan 17, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT

Freddy Garcia

Jon Heyman reports that the Yankees and the Orioles are sniffin’ around Freddy Garcia.

Or, I should say, sniffin’ around again. Heyman reported last month that multiple teams including the Yankees had requested his medical records.  At the time I opined that Garcia is not a guy who is going to make a difference for a contending team. He threw 157 decent innings last year but he doesn’t strike anyone out anymore. He’s a right-handed flyball pitcher who will get eaten alive in Yankee Stadium, Camden Yards. And in Fenway Park it should be noted too, as the Red Sox have some monster lefties.

Not that there’s anyone much better left for teams seeking pitching help. It’s just that Garcia is no one to get too excited about.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM

From a Yankee fans perspective. He’s probably a better back of the rotation option than Mitre…and if the Yankees can get him for say $3 or $4M at most plus incentives. I’m all for it unless the Yankees really are intent on waiting till the trade deadline to see what they can trade for.
    As a side note this whole Pettitte thing not being able to give the Yankees a definite answer about coming back is absurd.

2. phukyouk - Jan 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Andy gave his answer it was ” go fu*k yourselves. if you need me in June im going to pull a clemens. “

3. spudchukar - Jan 17, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I contend the Yankee rotation situation is even more dire then acknowledged. Even Sabathia teeters on the edge of dominant ace. It is a lot to assume Hughes will repeat the same numbers; we all know his win totals were inflated by great run support. When your #3 is A. J. Burnett the term “hope” takes on an entirely different meaning. Then you have that dynamic duo of Nova and Mitre.
    Now, the interest in Garcia becomes more reasonable, not out of any championing of his talents, but in the predicament the Yankees find themselves.

• uyf1950 - Jan 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM

…and yet for all the issues non Yankee fans would have everyone believe the Yankees have (some real some imagined) they still keep winning. Last year AJ and Vazquez stunk the 2nd half of the season, ARod missed 25 games and Pettitte missed about 2 1/2 months in July and August. Yet the Yankees came within 2 games of going to the World Series. Two games that by coincidence Lee beat them during the ALCS and Lee’s now in the NL. Sure Hughes benefited from the Yankees offense last year. But also keep in mind last year was Hughes first full year as a starter. It stands to reason his stats will improve this season. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again AJ has to pitch better this year even if it’s only marginally better. As for CC you underestimate him. He is a beast constantly going in the late inning of games, constantly pitching over 200+ innings season after season, his ERA over the last 5 years is always in the very low 3’s. And before anyone even thinks about mentioning that he benefits from the Yankees offense of his 21 win last season ONLY one was when he game up more then 3 ER…and in the prior season 2009 NONE of his 19 had he given up more than 3 ER. So in the last 2 season a total of 40 wins and in only 1 did he give up more than 3 ER.
      No doubt the Yankees would love to have other options for the back of their order than Nova & Mitre but they have done what they can by shoring up the bullpen where if it’s not currently the best in the majors it’s darn close to it. So that the back end of the rotation doesn’t have to go deep into the games. Besides their will be opportunities for the Yankees to shore up their rotation by the trade deadline. There are always “sellers” come that time of the year.

• spudchukar - Jan 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I’ve watched Sabathia quite a bit, maybe not as often as you, but enough to support my claim. No one can argue with his innings pitched. Certainly, he is a beast there. Why I used the term “teeter”, which isn’t all that condemning, is his propensity to always give up 2 or 3 runs. He just doesn’t seem to completely dominate. Not in the total shut down way of other elites. I know this sounds like nitpicking, and I am truly a Sabathia fan, but watching him lately, each game seems to have a hiccup, however slight it might be. Therefore my concern.
        Part of your defense mentions that Vasquez and Pettit had ineffective parts of their seasons. Fine, I agree, it is just they are not going to have any good parts, this year. They are gone. And they haven’t been replaced. As to Burnett’s prognosis, who knows. What I do know is his history points to failure not success. Hardly a recipe for optimism.
        Yes, the Yanks, barely missed out last year, and lest you think otherwise that did not make me happy. But their aging players are a year older, the division they play in is markedly better, and the point of my comment is their starting five is relatively abysmal, especially for a franchise that spends like they do. You can make a serious case that 20 other teams have better starting staffs.

• uyf1950 - Jan 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM

To spudchuckar – I’m sure non Yankee fans will disagree with what I’m about to post but I do want to address your comment about the amount of teams that have a better rotation than the Yankees. You may be right that there are many teams that have a better rotation than the Yankees you put the number at 20 I would probably dispute that number but I’m not concerned with the number your reference in total.
        Since arguably about 145 games of the 162 game schedule are in the AL I’m not concerned about the teams in the NL for the roughly 17 games they may play those teams.
        By my calculation I can only clearly see 3 maybe 4 teams in the AL that have a better 5 man starting rotation than the Yankees. Most if not all of the other teams are pretty much in the same boat as the Yankees 1 or 2 “quality” pitchers the rest are either coming off injuries, have little experience or are below average. However what I said in my earlier post, is the strength of their bullpen gives the Yankees an advantage over those “other” teams. Which I do not believe any of those other teams can match. Not even the 3 or 4 that have at least on paper a superior or more complete rotation. Like I said of course the Yankees would prefer to have alternatives to Nova & Mitre. But you play the hand you’re dealt and make the best of it. Then when the trade deadline comes around if need be you make adjustments. When I look at the Yankees in total, starting rotation, bullpen and offense there are very few teams that I think are on the same level as the Yankees. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, but that’s my opinion. I firmly believe the Yankees this season coming are the embodiment of the saying “the whole is greater then the sum of it’s parts”. Alright so I took a little liberty with the saying but you get my point I’m sure. We will just have to wait and see.

4. spudchukar - Jan 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I cannot fathom why the young, rebuilding Orioles would show interest. As you stated Craig, a fly-ball pitcher in that park is courting disaster. The Orioles seem to be on the right track, adding Garcia would only steal innings from some young starter who would benefit from the exposure.

• pipkin42 - Jan 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Yeah. Isn’t this Kevin Millwood all over again?

5. proudlycanadian - Jan 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Has anybody claimed that Garcia is in the best shape of his life?

6. spudchukar - Jan 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM

While I am commenting on the AL East, I would suggest that the Red Sox starting rotation isn’t all that rosy either. They can expect good things from Bucholtz. While the other four, while essentially solid, have shown some serious chinks in their respective armors. Lester’s fade, Lackey’s early season failures, Matsuzaka’s inconsistency, pitch counts and related injuries, and Beckett’s inability to get people out with his fastball all pose potential problems. Sure they are the problems most teams would love to have, but the anointment of the Sox as sure-fire AL champs, supported by their starting is premature. The top part of their line-up is scary, and will most often provide the cushion the veteran staff needs, but that bottom part of the line-up isn’t anything to write home about. Plus they still do not have a catcher. Mark my words, they aren’t going to run away in that division.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3590)