Jan 18, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
The offseason bullpen exodus in Minnesota is now complete, as Jon Rauch signed with the Blue Jays and Brian Fuentes signed with the A’s.
They join Matt Guerrier and Jesse Crain in leaving the Twins after that quartet combined to throw 45 percent of the team’s relief innings last season while posting a 2.98 ERA. The rest of the Twins’ bullpen had a 3.90 ERA.
Here are the contracts each reliever got on the open market:
– Crain: $13 million for three years from the White Sox
– Guerrier: $12 million for three years from the Dodgers
– Fuentes: $10 million for two years from the A’s
– Rauch: $3.75 million for one year from the Blue Jays (with a $3.75 team option for 2012)
It’s tough to blame the Twins for failing to bring Crain, Guerrier, Fuentes, and Rauch back at those prices, but it would’ve been nice to get more than one draft pick as compensation for letting all four guys leave as free agents.
It’s also worth noting that they just avoided arbitration with Matt Capps by signing him to a one-year, $7.15 million deal. Not only is he making more than any of the four departing relievers in 2011, the Twins traded one of their top prospects in Wilson Ramos for the right to significantly overpay him.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)