Jan 18, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
The offseason bullpen exodus in Minnesota is now complete, as Jon Rauch signed with the Blue Jays and Brian Fuentes signed with the A’s.
They join Matt Guerrier and Jesse Crain in leaving the Twins after that quartet combined to throw 45 percent of the team’s relief innings last season while posting a 2.98 ERA. The rest of the Twins’ bullpen had a 3.90 ERA.
Here are the contracts each reliever got on the open market:
- Crain: $13 million for three years from the White Sox
- Guerrier: $12 million for three years from the Dodgers
- Fuentes: $10 million for two years from the A’s
- Rauch: $3.75 million for one year from the Blue Jays (with a $3.75 team option for 2012)
It’s tough to blame the Twins for failing to bring Crain, Guerrier, Fuentes, and Rauch back at those prices, but it would’ve been nice to get more than one draft pick as compensation for letting all four guys leave as free agents.
It’s also worth noting that they just avoided arbitration with Matt Capps by signing him to a one-year, $7.15 million deal. Not only is he making more than any of the four departing relievers in 2011, the Twins traded one of their top prospects in Wilson Ramos for the right to significantly overpay him.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 6
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)