Jan 18, 2011, 1:48 PM EST
The offseason bullpen exodus in Minnesota is now complete, as Jon Rauch signed with the Blue Jays and Brian Fuentes signed with the A’s.
They join Matt Guerrier and Jesse Crain in leaving the Twins after that quartet combined to throw 45 percent of the team’s relief innings last season while posting a 2.98 ERA. The rest of the Twins’ bullpen had a 3.90 ERA.
Here are the contracts each reliever got on the open market:
- Crain: $13 million for three years from the White Sox
- Guerrier: $12 million for three years from the Dodgers
- Fuentes: $10 million for two years from the A’s
- Rauch: $3.75 million for one year from the Blue Jays (with a $3.75 team option for 2012)
It’s tough to blame the Twins for failing to bring Crain, Guerrier, Fuentes, and Rauch back at those prices, but it would’ve been nice to get more than one draft pick as compensation for letting all four guys leave as free agents.
It’s also worth noting that they just avoided arbitration with Matt Capps by signing him to a one-year, $7.15 million deal. Not only is he making more than any of the four departing relievers in 2011, the Twins traded one of their top prospects in Wilson Ramos for the right to significantly overpay him.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 4
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 85
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 48
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)