Jan 18, 2011, 3:35 PM EST
It’s been a weird year for Armando Galarraga. The near-perfect game. Being turned into an unexpected role model for forgiveness. Being sent down to Toledo for eight games. Looking like the odd man out in the rotation this winter. Unexpectedly reaching a deal avoiding arbitration late yesterday. And then this today:
One day after agreeing to terms with him on a $2.3MM contract for 2011, the Tigers have designated Armando Galarraga for assignment. The team announced the move on Twitter, while making its deal with Brad Penny official. Galarraga’s contract is non-guaranteed, though the Tigers would owe him termination pay if they were to release him.
Someone call Galarraga and make sure he hasn’t gone crazy yet. Someone call the Tigers and ask why they tendered him a contract to begin with.
Within ten minutes of this news hitting the wire my Yankees fan friends on Twitter began wondering whether Galarraga would make a good addition to the Bombers’ staff. My sense: meh. He’s more famous than he is good by virtue of the near-perfect game. If that hadn’t happened — against the punchless Indians, no less — he’d be unremarkable. He lets a lot of men on base. He doesn’t strike out a ton of guys. I think he may be more interesting than a bunch of Sergio Mitre starts, but it’s not like you’re getting some diamond in the rough by signing him.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)