Jan 18, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
It’s been a weird year for Armando Galarraga. The near-perfect game. Being turned into an unexpected role model for forgiveness. Being sent down to Toledo for eight games. Looking like the odd man out in the rotation this winter. Unexpectedly reaching a deal avoiding arbitration late yesterday. And then this today:
One day after agreeing to terms with him on a $2.3MM contract for 2011, the Tigers have designated Armando Galarraga for assignment. The team announced the move on Twitter, while making its deal with Brad Penny official. Galarraga’s contract is non-guaranteed, though the Tigers would owe him termination pay if they were to release him.
Someone call Galarraga and make sure he hasn’t gone crazy yet. Someone call the Tigers and ask why they tendered him a contract to begin with.
Within ten minutes of this news hitting the wire my Yankees fan friends on Twitter began wondering whether Galarraga would make a good addition to the Bombers’ staff. My sense: meh. He’s more famous than he is good by virtue of the near-perfect game. If that hadn’t happened — against the punchless Indians, no less — he’d be unremarkable. He lets a lot of men on base. He doesn’t strike out a ton of guys. I think he may be more interesting than a bunch of Sergio Mitre starts, but it’s not like you’re getting some diamond in the rough by signing him.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 45
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 40
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)