Jan 18, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT
It’s been a weird year for Armando Galarraga. The near-perfect game. Being turned into an unexpected role model for forgiveness. Being sent down to Toledo for eight games. Looking like the odd man out in the rotation this winter. Unexpectedly reaching a deal avoiding arbitration late yesterday. And then this today:
One day after agreeing to terms with him on a $2.3MM contract for 2011, the Tigers have designated Armando Galarraga for assignment. The team announced the move on Twitter, while making its deal with Brad Penny official. Galarraga’s contract is non-guaranteed, though the Tigers would owe him termination pay if they were to release him.
Someone call Galarraga and make sure he hasn’t gone crazy yet. Someone call the Tigers and ask why they tendered him a contract to begin with.
Within ten minutes of this news hitting the wire my Yankees fan friends on Twitter began wondering whether Galarraga would make a good addition to the Bombers’ staff. My sense: meh. He’s more famous than he is good by virtue of the near-perfect game. If that hadn’t happened — against the punchless Indians, no less — he’d be unremarkable. He lets a lot of men on base. He doesn’t strike out a ton of guys. I think he may be more interesting than a bunch of Sergio Mitre starts, but it’s not like you’re getting some diamond in the rough by signing him.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 6
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)