Jan 18, 2011, 3:35 PM EST
It’s been a weird year for Armando Galarraga. The near-perfect game. Being turned into an unexpected role model for forgiveness. Being sent down to Toledo for eight games. Looking like the odd man out in the rotation this winter. Unexpectedly reaching a deal avoiding arbitration late yesterday. And then this today:
One day after agreeing to terms with him on a $2.3MM contract for 2011, the Tigers have designated Armando Galarraga for assignment. The team announced the move on Twitter, while making its deal with Brad Penny official. Galarraga’s contract is non-guaranteed, though the Tigers would owe him termination pay if they were to release him.
Someone call Galarraga and make sure he hasn’t gone crazy yet. Someone call the Tigers and ask why they tendered him a contract to begin with.
Within ten minutes of this news hitting the wire my Yankees fan friends on Twitter began wondering whether Galarraga would make a good addition to the Bombers’ staff. My sense: meh. He’s more famous than he is good by virtue of the near-perfect game. If that hadn’t happened — against the punchless Indians, no less — he’d be unremarkable. He lets a lot of men on base. He doesn’t strike out a ton of guys. I think he may be more interesting than a bunch of Sergio Mitre starts, but it’s not like you’re getting some diamond in the rough by signing him.
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 0
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (124)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)