Bunches and bunches of random guys avoid arbitration

Jan 18, 2011, 3:05 PM EDT

Handshake

Like we said earlier: tons of signings today. We’ve been highlighting the bigger names, but many, many more players are avoiding arbitration. Among the more notable ones:

• Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox, $2.4 million;
  • J.J. Hardy, Orioles. $5.5 million;
  • Carlos Quentin, White Sox, $5.05 million;
  • Kevin Kouzmanoff, Athletics, $4.75 million;
  • Martin Prado, Braves, $3.1 million;
  • Boone Logan, Yankees, $1.2 million;
  • Phil Hughes, Yankees, $2.7 million;
  • Andy Sonnanstine, Rays, $912,500;
  • Kendry Morales, Angels, $2.95 million;
  • Joba Chamberlain, Yankees, $1.4 million;
  • Matt Garza, Cubs, $5.95 million.

There are a lot of things to say about some of these guys, but one observation I think is worth making right now: for the past several years we’ve witnessed the disappearance of baseball’s so-called middle class. There are lots of top end deals, and lots of low-dollar deals, but not much in between.  While that remains true of the multi-year deals, it does seem like there are more higher-priced single-year deals this year than in arbitration filing deadlines past.

We’ll wait for them to all come in and see if that holds up, but it’s the sense I have just from eyeballing it this afternoon.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I can’t speak to the non Yankee players on the list. But as for the 3 Yankee players I think Logan’s is fair, I think Hughes did a little worse then I would have imagined. But the biggest surprise for me is Joba I had him figured for about $800,000. Never would have imagined over a million never mind $1.4M.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Kyle Kendrick 2.45 million

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM

That’s a lotta moolah for KK.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM

It seems to be the going rate though Ut. John Lannan with his 2.75 million salary was the measuring stick a few people used. Lannan may be be better imo.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Ask Chase whether he’s better. But KK the same as Phil Hughes? I wonder if Rube’s rethinking his stance on Big Joe, now.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Man, do you think the Yanks would trade even up??? KK for Hughes? LOL! I think what you see is the result of what they made in 2010. Arbitration usually awards a percentage hike that works off of their last salary# from what I understand with some difference due to the quality of player. The numbers these guys are agreeing to is more than likely just under their projected Arbitrated salary.

3. spudchukar - Jan 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Where do I sign up to be a random guy?

4. uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I just read on SI.com that Josh Hamilton has asked for $12M in arbitration and the Rangers offered $8.7M
    Yowza! (I’m not sure that’s even a word).

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS