Jan 18, 2011, 5:18 PM EDT
I’ve chafed at the notion — increasingly repeated by some of you out there in Internet Land — that Andy Pettitte is “pulling a Brett Favre.” He’s not. Favre retired and then un-retired and each time he did it he used his many, many friends in the football media to play the drama up to his maximal advantage. Pettitte may be privately dithering, but he has gone home and he has stayed quiet and hasn’t been yanking anyone’s chain as far as I can tell.
Not that Brian Cashman hasn’t worried about him doing that a bit. Here’s Cashman, speaking at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast today, as reported in the Trentonian:
“Andy has talking about being home for years. Being from Texas and having to be in New York for six months out of the year can be hard because he has kids and he’s missing important time with them. He’s opting not to play right now but that might change it might not. I told him don’t ‘Brett Favre’ us. You got to be all in and fully dedicated to play. Do I need him? I need him, but I don’t want him to play if his heart’s not in it.”
I know the Pettitte situation is unusual and that we all want some resolution to it one way or the other, but I think Cashman and Pettitte have handled it about as well as anyone could have handled this. No one has said anything dumb. To the extent anyone has said anything at all it has been to correct media reports that have overstated this or that.
I would have told Pettitte not to “Brett Favre” me too. And good for him for not doing so.
But any time you want to tell folks what you’re doing next season, Andy, that would be great. And remember: the “don’t Brett Favre us” rule probably applies to manner in which you tell Cashman what you’re doing too, not just the substance. So please: no texting.
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 15
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 47
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 11
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)