Jan 18, 2011, 5:18 PM EDT
I’ve chafed at the notion — increasingly repeated by some of you out there in Internet Land — that Andy Pettitte is “pulling a Brett Favre.” He’s not. Favre retired and then un-retired and each time he did it he used his many, many friends in the football media to play the drama up to his maximal advantage. Pettitte may be privately dithering, but he has gone home and he has stayed quiet and hasn’t been yanking anyone’s chain as far as I can tell.
Not that Brian Cashman hasn’t worried about him doing that a bit. Here’s Cashman, speaking at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast today, as reported in the Trentonian:
“Andy has talking about being home for years. Being from Texas and having to be in New York for six months out of the year can be hard because he has kids and he’s missing important time with them. He’s opting not to play right now but that might change it might not. I told him don’t ‘Brett Favre’ us. You got to be all in and fully dedicated to play. Do I need him? I need him, but I don’t want him to play if his heart’s not in it.”
I know the Pettitte situation is unusual and that we all want some resolution to it one way or the other, but I think Cashman and Pettitte have handled it about as well as anyone could have handled this. No one has said anything dumb. To the extent anyone has said anything at all it has been to correct media reports that have overstated this or that.
I would have told Pettitte not to “Brett Favre” me too. And good for him for not doing so.
But any time you want to tell folks what you’re doing next season, Andy, that would be great. And remember: the “don’t Brett Favre us” rule probably applies to manner in which you tell Cashman what you’re doing too, not just the substance. So please: no texting.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (96)