Cashman told Pettitte “don’t Brett Favre us”

Jan 18, 2011, 5:18 PM EDT

Texas Rangers v New York Yankees, Game 3 Getty Images

I’ve chafed at the notion — increasingly repeated by some of you out there in Internet Land — that Andy Pettitte is “pulling a Brett Favre.”  He’s not. Favre retired and then un-retired and each time he did it he used his many, many friends in the football media to play the drama up to his maximal advantage.  Pettitte may be privately dithering, but he has gone home and he has stayed quiet and hasn’t been yanking anyone’s chain as far as I can tell.

Not that Brian Cashman hasn’t worried about him doing that a bit.  Here’s Cashman, speaking at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast today, as reported in the Trentonian:

“Andy has talking about being home for years. Being from Texas and having to be in New York for six months out of the year can be hard because he has kids and he’s missing important time with them. He’s opting not to play right now but that might change it might not. I told him don’t ‘Brett Favre’ us. You got to be all in and fully dedicated to play. Do I need him? I need him, but I don’t want him to play if his heart’s not in it.”

I know the Pettitte situation is unusual and that we all want some resolution to it one way or the other, but I think Cashman and Pettitte have handled it about as well as anyone could have handled this. No one has said anything dumb. To the extent anyone has said anything at all it has been to correct media reports that have overstated this or that.

I would have told Pettitte not to “Brett Favre” me too. And good for him for not doing so.

But any time you want to tell folks what you’re doing next season, Andy, that would be great. And remember: the “don’t Brett Favre us” rule probably applies to manner in which you tell Cashman what you’re doing too, not just the substance. So please: no texting.

(link via BTF)

1. uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Finally Brian has taken a stance. He may not have taken a hard stance at this point and that’s a good thing but at least he’s let Andy know that there are limits. And while the Yankees are waiting for an answer from him the time may come when the Yankees no longer care. At least that’s my opinion.

• phukyouk - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:39 PM

this is pretty funny cause i had the exact same conversation with a train buddy of mine this morning. he said that Pettite is pulling a Favre and i said that hes not hes just being a dick. i was super pissed in 08 with the whole salary thing (or was it 09?) and i said he can go eff himself at that point. this is pissing me off more. youre a 39 yr old man.. make a decision and stick with it. stop being a b!thc. and yea when it was Nov/Dec i agreed with the folks that said ” hey its his career give the man some time to decide the next step of his life” but now its mid Jan and its enough. just make a damn decision and move on.

• uyf1950 - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM

EXACTLY.

• Old Gator - Jan 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I just had this great image of Cashman checking his text messages and getting photos of Pettite’s you-know-what. Petite?

2. yankeesfanlen - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM

He’s coming back. Just because he does it in an unusual fashion is of no consequence. Kind of like his constant pick-off moves.

• bloodysock - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Really? Is he going to show up in Hank’s box and we’ll hear Suzyn Waldman screaming his return?

3. quintjs - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM

The thing that has made it different to Favre is Pettitte has constantly said don’t wait for him. He is a free agent and isn’t interested in a contract. We have to remember he isn’t actually a member of the Yankees.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Isn’t he a “True Yankee” by Jeterian decree?

4. bloodysock - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Does ‘don’t Brett Favre us’ mean Pettitte can’t text Jenn Sterger?

• billybeaneismyhero - Jan 18, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Zing!

5. jh0088 - Jan 18, 2011 at 6:13 PM

It’s my guess that he actually does pull a Brett Favre and signs with The Rangers just to be closer to home. That would be the ultimate defintion of pulling a Favre.

6. billybeaneismyhero - Jan 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Wouldn’t the phrase “Don’t Roger Clemens us” be more appropriate? Clemens was ‘Brett Farve-ing’ teams long before Brett Favre learned of the joy of jerking teams around. If anything, that chotchbag deserves that dishonorable distinction.

7. Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 10:07 PM

No Pee Pee pictures?

Hey look, the guy is a free agent. And I’d bet a grand it isn’t just the Yankees waiting on his decision first off. Then, the way the Yanks off season has been going, Is it out of the realm of possibilities that this guy has an axe to grind with Yankee management, and is dealing them a little medicine? I mean, it’s the Yankees, and they haven’t exactly been overly generous when it came to Andy Pettitte. 11.7 million last season 5.5 the season before. Not exactly big bucks for what he brings to the table guys. Meanwhile they throw bags of money to other guys. Sure it’s an agreement, but you don’t know how these negotiations went down now do we? He might dislike how he was handled by Cashman back then, who knows? But don’t talk trash on the guy when you don’t know why this situation exists. It cold be for a number of reasons. Besides dragging the game out an extra hour, I really like the guy.

• uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 5:50 AM

Just so fans don’t think the Yankees went cheap on Pettitte in 2009 your salary quote is misleading. Pettitte’s BASE salary that year was $5.5 there were incentives built into the contact that made his ultimate salary worth $10.5M…so in fact his salaries in 2009 was $10.5M and $ 11.75 M in 2010. Just want to clarify in the interest of accuracy. A personal observation on the whole Pettitte situation this off season. I don’t care what his reasons are for “dragging” his decision out. Whether it’s personal like he wants to spend more time with his family or it’s concern over the whole Clemens thing. It’s been over 2 months since the end of the season, common courtesy dictates that he should have given the Yankees a definitive answer sooner rather than later. By the way, I like the guy to.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

It still isn’t “Yankee money” though, and I’m grasping at straws here trying to give andy the benefit of doubt. Maybe you are right UYF. Or maybe the Yankees showed lack of courtesy towards him? We don’t know. That’s all I’m getting at. Andy has proven he’s a stand up guy imo, and this doesn’t seem to be enough to convict him of being a “d!ck or b!tch” here.

• uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM

To Jonny 5 – I’m not saying he’s a “d’ or a “b”. I like the guy. But I think as I said common courtesy tells me that he should have given the Yankees an answer by now one way or the other.

• bigbbfan - Jan 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM

That is 1,000,000.00 plus for each of his wins last year. This is not paying him well????

The guy is a has been, not because he can’t pitch well its just that he ain’t well that often.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3303)