Jan 18, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
This is kind of a shocker: Royals starter Gil Meche has announced his retirement. This despite the fact that he has about $12 million left on his contract.
Of course Meche has had chronic shoulder trouble since 2009. Much of it due, one presumes, to Trey Hillman absolutely grinding him into dust. Rany Jazayerli has chronicled this, the most notorious example of which was Hillman sending Meche out for 121 pitches in a game in 2009 as Meche was suffering from dead arm and trying to overcome various ailments. Maybe Meche goes down anyway, but it was pretty inexcusable all the same.
That aside, Meche gave Kansas City their money’s worth for the first two years of the deal, putting up an ERA+ of 125 and 110, respectively, while pitching over 200 innings. In the past two seasons Meche only made 43 appearances, 32 of which were starts. He had certainly lost effectiveness and velocity. He apparently believes that it’s not coming back. Sad to see it end for Gil Meche, but it’s good to see someone comfortable enough with himself and his place in the game to where he can walk away like this.
Ask yourself, though: would you leave $12 million on the table like this? When you could simply hang around the team, sit in the dugout and collect the checks? Most of us would probably say that we couldn’t do that if we knew we couldn’t pitch anymore, but most of us would probably be lying.
Enjoy retirement, Gil.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)