Jan 18, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
Washington is “closing in on” a contract with right-hander Todd Coffey, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
Coffey was non-tendered by the Brewers despite a 3.52 ERA and 128/46 K/BB ratio in 153 innings for Milwaukee during the past three seasons.
Coffey’s slider is his best pitch, but his average fastball also clocks in at 94 miles per hour and he’s induced 52 percent ground balls to go along with missing plenty of bats. He should be a solid middle reliever in 2011.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 9
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)