Jan 18, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
Washington is “closing in on” a contract with right-hander Todd Coffey, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
Coffey was non-tendered by the Brewers despite a 3.52 ERA and 128/46 K/BB ratio in 153 innings for Milwaukee during the past three seasons.
Coffey’s slider is his best pitch, but his average fastball also clocks in at 94 miles per hour and he’s induced 52 percent ground balls to go along with missing plenty of bats. He should be a solid middle reliever in 2011.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)