Jan 18, 2011, 5:28 PM EDT
Washington is “closing in on” a contract with right-hander Todd Coffey, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
Coffey was non-tendered by the Brewers despite a 3.52 ERA and 128/46 K/BB ratio in 153 innings for Milwaukee during the past three seasons.
Coffey’s slider is his best pitch, but his average fastball also clocks in at 94 miles per hour and he’s induced 52 percent ground balls to go along with missing plenty of bats. He should be a solid middle reliever in 2011.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)