Jan 18, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
San Diego signed Gregg Zaun to a minor-league contract and the veteran catcher will get an invitation to spring training, where he’ll compete for the backup job with Rob Johnson.
Zaun missed most of last season following June shoulder surgery and will be 40 years old in April, but if healthy he’s a far superior option than Johnson to play behind starter Nick Hundley.
Zaun has posted an on-base percentage above .340 in seven straight seasons and the switch-hitter batted .265 with a .350 OBP in 28 games for the Brewers last season before shutting things down.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)