Jan 18, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
San Diego signed Gregg Zaun to a minor-league contract and the veteran catcher will get an invitation to spring training, where he’ll compete for the backup job with Rob Johnson.
Zaun missed most of last season following June shoulder surgery and will be 40 years old in April, but if healthy he’s a far superior option than Johnson to play behind starter Nick Hundley.
Zaun has posted an on-base percentage above .340 in seven straight seasons and the switch-hitter batted .265 with a .350 OBP in 28 games for the Brewers last season before shutting things down.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)