Jan 18, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
In what could very well be his last year as the Red Sox’ closer Jonathan Papelbon has agreed to a $12 million contract for 2011, avoiding arbitration.
At least I guess it’s his last year. I and a lot of other folks were half-convinced that the Sox would non-tender Papelbon this winter, letting him take his chances as a free agent, rather than pay him eight figures. Then, after signing Bobby Jenks — and because Bard is waiting in the wings — some folks thought that maybe Papelbon would lose his closer’s job. He got the vote of confidence on that score almost as soon as Jenks signed: Papelbon is still the closer.
It’s a lot of money for a guy who has been going in the wrong direction the past couple of years. I wonder if Theo Epstein wouldn’t have saved a couple million bucks by taking Papelbon to arbitration and taking his chances. But it’s not like he’s become a bad pitcher, either, which is something that is easy to forget as tempers flare over the occasional blown save during the summer.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)