Jan 18, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Bradley was arrested at home at around 10:40 a.m for making a threat against an unidentified female. He was later released on $50,000 bail.
By the way, here’s a link to the penal code section 422.
9:22 PM: The law isn’t really my game, but our own Craig Calcaterra tweets that Code section 422 involves threats to cause “death or great bodily injury to another person.” He continues:
Importantly, the code section deals with threats even if “there is no intent to carry it out.” Has to be a clear, unequivocal threat, though.
The threats can come via text, in person, in writing, whatever.
Key: it is a crime to make real, specific threats even if it isn’t clear you’re going to carry them out.
9:17 PM: The LAPD has confirmed to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Bradley was arrested for violating California penal code section 422, which involves making a “criminal threat.” That’s all we have right now.
9:15 PM: Here we go again.
According to King 5 Sports in Seattle, Milton Bradley has been arrested on a felony charge in Los Angeles County. We’re waiting for more details to emerge regarding the specific nature of the crime, but the Mariners may have finally found the loophole they need to void the rest of the his contract. Maybe.
Bradley, who turns 33 in April, is owed $12 million in 2011.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)