Jan 18, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Bradley was arrested at home at around 10:40 a.m for making a threat against an unidentified female. He was later released on $50,000 bail.
By the way, here’s a link to the penal code section 422.
9:22 PM: The law isn’t really my game, but our own Craig Calcaterra tweets that Code section 422 involves threats to cause “death or great bodily injury to another person.” He continues:
Importantly, the code section deals with threats even if “there is no intent to carry it out.” Has to be a clear, unequivocal threat, though.
The threats can come via text, in person, in writing, whatever.
Key: it is a crime to make real, specific threats even if it isn’t clear you’re going to carry them out.
9:17 PM: The LAPD has confirmed to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Bradley was arrested for violating California penal code section 422, which involves making a “criminal threat.” That’s all we have right now.
9:15 PM: Here we go again.
According to King 5 Sports in Seattle, Milton Bradley has been arrested on a felony charge in Los Angeles County. We’re waiting for more details to emerge regarding the specific nature of the crime, but the Mariners may have finally found the loophole they need to void the rest of the his contract. Maybe.
Bradley, who turns 33 in April, is owed $12 million in 2011.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 34
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)