Jan 18, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Bradley was arrested at home at around 10:40 a.m for making a threat against an unidentified female. He was later released on $50,000 bail.
By the way, here’s a link to the penal code section 422.
9:22 PM: The law isn’t really my game, but our own Craig Calcaterra tweets that Code section 422 involves threats to cause “death or great bodily injury to another person.” He continues:
Importantly, the code section deals with threats even if “there is no intent to carry it out.” Has to be a clear, unequivocal threat, though.
The threats can come via text, in person, in writing, whatever.
Key: it is a crime to make real, specific threats even if it isn’t clear you’re going to carry them out.
9:17 PM: The LAPD has confirmed to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Bradley was arrested for violating California penal code section 422, which involves making a “criminal threat.” That’s all we have right now.
9:15 PM: Here we go again.
According to King 5 Sports in Seattle, Milton Bradley has been arrested on a felony charge in Los Angeles County. We’re waiting for more details to emerge regarding the specific nature of the crime, but the Mariners may have finally found the loophole they need to void the rest of the his contract. Maybe.
Bradley, who turns 33 in April, is owed $12 million in 2011.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)