Jan 18, 2011, 9:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Bradley was arrested at home at around 10:40 a.m for making a threat against an unidentified female. He was later released on $50,000 bail.
By the way, here’s a link to the penal code section 422.
9:22 PM: The law isn’t really my game, but our own Craig Calcaterra tweets that Code section 422 involves threats to cause “death or great bodily injury to another person.” He continues:
Importantly, the code section deals with threats even if “there is no intent to carry it out.” Has to be a clear, unequivocal threat, though.
The threats can come via text, in person, in writing, whatever.
Key: it is a crime to make real, specific threats even if it isn’t clear you’re going to carry them out.
9:17 PM: The LAPD has confirmed to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that Bradley was arrested for violating California penal code section 422, which involves making a “criminal threat.” That’s all we have right now.
9:15 PM: Here we go again.
According to King 5 Sports in Seattle, Milton Bradley has been arrested on a felony charge in Los Angeles County. We’re waiting for more details to emerge regarding the specific nature of the crime, but the Mariners may have finally found the loophole they need to void the rest of the his contract. Maybe.
Bradley, who turns 33 in April, is owed $12 million in 2011.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)