Jan 18, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
When we checked in with Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. last week, he wasn’t in a hurry to deal Joe Blanton. Now? According to what he told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com today, it sounds like he isn’t willing to deal him at all.
“I don’t feel comfortable doing it,” Amaro told FOXSports.com. “He’s going to pitch for the Phillies, probably for the entire season.”
In all seriousness, this is likely a matter of how much money the Phillies are willing to absorb in a potential trade. Blanton is owed $8.5 million over each of the next two seasons and one rival executive told Rosenthal that there was “not a chance” his team would make a deal unless the Phillies were willing to cover a significant part of his salary.
For now, it sounds like Amaro is satisfied with having a pretty good fifth starter in Blanton, but don’t forget, as Craig has said many times before, this guy is a ninja. Can’t put anything past him.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)