Jan 18, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
Sam Miller over at the OC Register is fed up with the same thing I get fed up with from time to time: people proposing truly dumb trades. They usually take the form of a reader suggesting that their rooting interest trade for Stud Player X, while giving up … nothing. Or close to it. It’s just silly myopia. Unlike me, however, Sam has decided that he can no longer suffer these fools gladly:
Once a month or so, somebody posts a comment around here suggesting the Angels should trade for Evan Longoria. It’s not just here — at Halos Heaven, HuskerHalo suggested it as “a very nice dream,” and Matt 92310 admitted it’s “perhaps crazy” but wondered “is it unrealistic” that the Angels could trade for him?
I usually think: You’re CRAZY! It would take a package of, like, Mike Trout and Jered Weaver and Hank Conger to get Longoria. Turns out: I’m CRAZY too . It would take even more.
Sam then proceeds to break down exactly how valuable Evan Longoria is and what exactly it would take to land him. It’s not perfect — there are a lot of assumptions in there — but it’s way closer to the approach a front office would take than the approach all of the armchair GMs out there take.
Instructive stuff for hot stove season.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)