Jan 18, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
Sam Miller over at the OC Register is fed up with the same thing I get fed up with from time to time: people proposing truly dumb trades. They usually take the form of a reader suggesting that their rooting interest trade for Stud Player X, while giving up … nothing. Or close to it. It’s just silly myopia. Unlike me, however, Sam has decided that he can no longer suffer these fools gladly:
Once a month or so, somebody posts a comment around here suggesting the Angels should trade for Evan Longoria. It’s not just here — at Halos Heaven, HuskerHalo suggested it as “a very nice dream,” and Matt 92310 admitted it’s “perhaps crazy” but wondered “is it unrealistic” that the Angels could trade for him?
I usually think: You’re CRAZY! It would take a package of, like, Mike Trout and Jered Weaver and Hank Conger to get Longoria. Turns out: I’m CRAZY too . It would take even more.
Sam then proceeds to break down exactly how valuable Evan Longoria is and what exactly it would take to land him. It’s not perfect — there are a lot of assumptions in there — but it’s way closer to the approach a front office would take than the approach all of the armchair GMs out there take.
Instructive stuff for hot stove season.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)