Jan 18, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
Sam Miller over at the OC Register is fed up with the same thing I get fed up with from time to time: people proposing truly dumb trades. They usually take the form of a reader suggesting that their rooting interest trade for Stud Player X, while giving up … nothing. Or close to it. It’s just silly myopia. Unlike me, however, Sam has decided that he can no longer suffer these fools gladly:
Once a month or so, somebody posts a comment around here suggesting the Angels should trade for Evan Longoria. It’s not just here — at Halos Heaven, HuskerHalo suggested it as “a very nice dream,” and Matt 92310 admitted it’s “perhaps crazy” but wondered “is it unrealistic” that the Angels could trade for him?
I usually think: You’re CRAZY! It would take a package of, like, Mike Trout and Jered Weaver and Hank Conger to get Longoria. Turns out: I’m CRAZY too . It would take even more.
Sam then proceeds to break down exactly how valuable Evan Longoria is and what exactly it would take to land him. It’s not perfect — there are a lot of assumptions in there — but it’s way closer to the approach a front office would take than the approach all of the armchair GMs out there take.
Instructive stuff for hot stove season.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)