The Phillies are the Terminator

Jan 18, 2011, 12:01 PM EDT

Terminator

Zoo With Roy is a pretty righteous Phillies blog. Today ZWR features a video mashup done by Petzrawr of the equally-righteous (yet sadly defunct) TheFightins.com. In it, the Phillies are portrayed as the Terminator.

It’s a great analogy, really. Because just like the Terminator, the Phillies kick ass for a long time and then end up losing at the end. Perfect, really.  Just substitute Ryan Howard‘s last at bat against the Giants for Arnold getting mashed up in that hydraulic press and it’s gold.

(seriously, though, nice video. I wish Braves fans cared enough to do that kind of stuff, but sadly, we don’t)

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Philly Fans Rock!!!!! Here is the proof.

2. Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Sorry, didn’t think it would be blocked. Here’s the link.

3. BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Where’s that photo of Ryan Howard striking out in the playoffs where he looks like someone in a Hummer just mowed down his puppy? I love that photo.
    Hey I’m a Mets fan. I have to cling to whatever….

• Kanonen80 - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

• Kanonen80 - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM
      • BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Thank you!

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM

After all that Ketel One and the snushrain (or whatever the hell we got hit with earlier and you’re probably getting now), you probably should be holding on to a railing of some sort.

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I have power-sleet up here right now. Much rock salt will be applied outside condo this evening.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Perfect baseball weather.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM

My truck was encased in an 1/8″ thk sheet of ice this morning. Then an accident on 295 made me late by a half hour. Then I get into total insanity here at work over paperwork I can’t get, but need. I need my binky!!! Waaaaaa!!!!!

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:45 PM

BC: “Jonny5, My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.”
        Otter: “Better listen to him, Jonny5, he’s pre-med.”

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM

It’s okay, Jonny. Relax…relax…relax…think of the Phightins rotation and relax…

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Start drinking heavily? Where have you been, BC?

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Home on a snow day. Well, make it an ice day. Power-sleet has ceased. Now have power-freezing-rain. But happily, Ketel One is in the house. :-)

• Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 2:47 PM

So, I guess I need to pick up some bass ale on my way home… That’s the best advice I’ve ever had from a pre med almost dr. Thanks BC you’re the sheeeit… :)

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Make it Harp and get some Guinness to go with it.

4. randomdigits - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

So the Braves fan is mocking the Phillies’ struggles in the postseason?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Yep, That’s about the size of it. And if and when the Braves fan ever crows as much about his team’s 14 division titles and one World Series win half as much as Phillies fans crow about their four division titles and one World Series win, the Phillies fans will have a right to call me out on my hubris.

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

+1 for Craig C.
        Hey, I bemoan my Mets. We should have won 3 world series titles in the 80’s, and were damn lucky to not face Mike Scott in the NLCS Game 7 and got our one in 1986. It’s been suckitude since.
        I figure now, set the bar low. If the team steps over it and goes way beyond expectations, enjoy it. If not, there are reruns of ‘Hee Haw’ to be watched. Always liked Roy Clark. The guy wailed on the banjo.

• randomdigits - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Not a Phillies fan here, I just thought it amusing that the fan of a team that had a 1-14 stretch was mocking a team going through a 1-4 stretch.

I find most team’s fanbases to be pretty insufferable when said team is having an extended period of dominance.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:44 PM

And those four division titles came after 14 years of squat, which was preceded by the Joe Carter homer—the photo of which you keep posting ad nauseum—which itself followed God only knows how many years of squat.

By the way, how do we know that you didn’t crow loud and hard DURING that string of division titles, which only resulted in one WS win? We don’t. You just happen to be catching us here…on the newfangled interwebs on a blog that didn’t exist during that streak.

So suck it up, Craig. We will be crowing for a while. ;)

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I still maintain that Roy Clark kicks a$$ on the banjo.
        Dude sang ‘God Bless America’ at a Dodgers game last year. 77 and kicking butt.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Hey! Wait a minute mr. Calcaterra. Since when do we need to apply for rights to call you out on your hubris? Sheeeeeeit! LOL!

Actually, I love to hear fans talking trash against the enemy. A defeatest tone is not acceptable in my book. If Craig was to come out talking about how great the Phills are, and how they’ll likely sweep more teams this season than any other mlb team ever has, or how the Braves might as well forget it and go home. I’d have to seriously consider revoking his Man card and Fan card all at the same time. Not that I have that power or anything. Ya know cause I’m like a nobody and stuff…

5. Glenn - Jan 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

BC – don’t forget that the Mets shouldn’t even have one World Series title in the 80’s. ’86 was a gift of major proportions from the Sox.

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Dude, I’ll take any gift I can get. In 1988 the gift was taken back by Scioscia’s HR off Doc Gooden. I consider things even.

• Panda Claus - Jan 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Don’t forget the no-show O’s in ’69 giving the Amazings that first trophy. That year was understandable giving the fact that NY team was bettter.

I don’t easily forget the ’71 and ’79 folding tent Series losses to the Pyrates. We are family my arse.

And don’t get me started on the ’96 robbery invoked by that 12-year old punk Jeffrey Maier. ‘Roids or not, that team was stacked.

Now the win over Philly in ’83 is one main reason I don’t dislike the Phillies.

Even without those near-misses my O’s have 3 WS titles and 8 divisions, which appears to more than the boys from Hotlanta have.

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I was 2 in 1969. I can’t count that. As a Mets fan, I didn’t know what the eff a baseball was at that point. I don’t even know if we got more than 3 TV channels back then. My first sports memory was Super Bowl 9 (this just in, Pittsburgh 16, Minnesota 6).

6. xmatt0926x - Jan 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Bottom line, all a fan can hope for is that their team goes for it each year. Otherwise your just the Pirates. Phillies fans sat through years and years of having no shot. Years and years of free agent signings being the worst of the worst of what was available. I think fans acting obnoxious is rediculous at any time but I don’t apologize for the segment of the fan base that is excited about a team that has turned the page seemingly and at the very least has an ownership groupo that will spend some of the added revenues from the ballpark to truely be a competitive team. They may not win anything with the current staff and lineup but there is a great chance for October baseball in Philly and thats good enough for me. As for the obnoxious fans spouting off, it’s about as lame as a blogger taking constant cheap shots at the fan base and then calling them overly defensive whenever they react to thsat cheap shot. Just my 2 cents.

• spudchukar - Jan 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I’ll take the Pirate history over the Phils.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I’ll take the Phightins present over the Pirates.

• BC - Jan 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Let’s go Mets! Let’s go Mets! Let’s….. Aw, hell forget it….

7. xmatt0926x - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Spud, thats my point. The phillies history sucks!!! Thank you!!! We know this. Thats why when we finally get a small window of good times we get excited. We’re a crazy bunch. When 1 year you give us Halladay and then you shock the world and get Lee the very next year to form what many experts in the game are saying may be one of the best rotations of all time than excuse the fan base for having some fun with it. I mean give me a bereak. Your telling me that on a sports blog you cant have some good old fashioned smack talk ? Or is it that you can have it as long as the blogger’s team isn’t in the same division? how many years did the world have to hear that the Braves were America’s team? How many years did we have to deal with the rediculously lame tomahawk chop from the 17,000 or so Braves fans that would dare to even show up to their games on a nightly basis? So here are the Phillies fans getting excited over 2 world series appearances in 3 years and now this year having a once in a lifetime pitching staff and the fun police happen to like their main competitor in the division so the fans and the team have to be subject to weasily and whiny insults that by the way are no more above board than any of the perceived hubris that made the blogger write his piece to begin with? Thats my point.

8. xmatt0926x - Jan 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

By the way I actually like Craig which is why I come to this site every day. I just think he get’s a little hypocritical at times. Call me crazy but Im thinking that if the braves overtake the phillies this season that he may in fact do some trash talking of his own. But of course that will be justified as simple revenge against us dastardly phillies fans .

9. Utley's Hair - Jan 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM

(Dude…as one Phightins Phan to another…don’t tell folks on here to call you crazy. That’s just inviting all Holy Hell to be released upon you.)

10. mrznyc - Jan 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Played sports through college in Phila. and can tell you it’s a great sports town. In Philadelphia the fans are tough in any sport at any level BUT – They know their sport, they care and most important they show up. Right now they’ve got a couple of good teams. It’s not like they’re laying a braggin’ on you about some bums. I don’t live there any more and presently root for other teams, but I can assure you, if you’re looking for a great sports town, all the way up and down the line, you’ll look long and hard before you find some place better than Philadelphia.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate