Jan 19, 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
R.A. Dickey spent some time tweeting via the New York Mets Twitter feed today. A question from a reader and Dickey’s answer:
Q: Do you enjoy Faulkner & if so what’s ur favorite work of his?
A: I do enjoy Faulkner. Hands down Absalom, Absalom!
I defy you to name a pitcher who can throw 100 miles per hour who has also read Absalom, Absalom! There are none. Only a knuckleballer. Maybe a couple of wise backup catchers. That’s it.
Baseball is a game peopled with garrulous outraged baffled ghosts.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)