UPDATE: The Yankees offered Carl Pavano $10 million

Jan 19, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT

Pavano Yankees

UPDATE:  Apparently it was more than talk. WFAN reports that the Yankees made a one-year, $10 million offer, plus incentives.  Yikes!

12:44 PM: We had a Pavano post, we had a Yankees pitching post.  Now, sweet synthesis:

Cashman admitted he had “several discussions” with agent for Pavano.

That from Peter Botte of the Daily News.

Look, I’m not going to begrudge a guy for doing whatever he can to improve a rotation that needs improving.  But Pavano? In New York again?  I don’t think the uptick in the team’s pitching would be worth a tenth of the fallout that kind of move would have caused.  Indeed, I bet that even the report of Cashman having the conversations will turn itself into a “the Yankees are lost at sea” column from someone at one of the half-sheets within the next couple of days.

1. BC - Jan 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

???!!??!?!!!?????!?

2. phukyouk - Jan 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I call BS! there is no way that would ever happen. hed be crucified by the fans.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jan 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

If you’re looking for consternation, you won’t find it here. This could be another Brian swoop.

What are we collectively mad at Pavano for NOW? That was ages ago and the “injuries” must have been substantiated by someone.

Send THE FAT TOAD to the twins as a consolation prize. In an oversized refrigerator box.

• genericcommenter - Jan 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM

The Fat Toad left the Yankees around 1999, if I remember correctly.

• ditto65 - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:10 PM

No – that was the FAT PUSSY TOAD.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Players like to say they don’t think about the previous pitch, just the upcoming one. Cashman should have used the same philosophy with Pavano. He really is/was there best option post-Lee-shenanigans. Of course, the baseball gods may have injured Pavano before his first start back in pinstripes but we’ll never know for sure.

5. ThatGuy - Jan 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I think it was the sewer rats the did him in the first time, the Pavanostache is immune to sewer rats.

6. BC - Jan 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Regarding the offer, I repeat, ???!!??!?!!!?????!?

7. uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

When he can lead the Twins to a single post season victory over the Yankees then I’ll regret that the Yankees didn’t give more thought to signing him. Until then I’m of the opinion that he should be in jail for stealing from the Yankees for 4 years. Otherwise he can sign with the Twins for 10 years and it won’t make a difference. The Twins have been and are “road kill” when it come to playing the Yankees and his signing won’t change that one bit.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I rest my case in regards to Pettitte being underpaid. By Yankee standards anyway.

8. madhatternalice - Jan 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I love Yankees fans. Where else in sports can you find a team that has more world championships than any other, the highest payroll in the sport, more All-Stars (on average) than any other team, and fans are still bitching about a contract from 5 years ago that fans are STILL bitching about?

I mean, honestly. “…I’m of the opinion that he should be in jail for stealing from the Yankees for 4 years.” The Yankees massively overpaid for Pavano, not the other way around. Direct your ire at Javier Vazquez’s awful season last year, or lament the fact that AJ Burnett is basically wasting a roster space. But for the love of all things near and far, let this Pavano thing go. Vazquez was awful his first time in NY, and he was brought back, and the fans didn’t initially care. It would have been the same for Pavano.

Walk a mile in the shoes of an Orioles or Pirates fan, and then talk to me.

• madhatternalice - Jan 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

there’s a redundancy up there. my bad.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I’ll talk to you now. We’re like that (not me of course, but others). Deal with it.

• uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

At least Vazquez went out at pitched and it was on a one year contract. AJ again he at least is giving the Yankees 30+ games each of the seasons he has been on their payroll. Do you have any idea how many games Pavano pitched for the Yankees in the 4 years he was under contract to them exactly 26 and 17 of those games were in his first season (2005) with them. He pitched -0- games in 2006, 2 games in 2007 and 7 games in 2008. As far as this Yankee fan is concerned as long as Pavano is in the Major Leagues I will NEVER forget and I will NEVER stop saying he should be in jail for stealing from the Yankees during those 4 years.

• madhatternalice - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM

and again, why all the hate for pavano? the yankees were free to cut or trade him. obviously, they chose not to. you can’t blame a player for taking the money; you just can’t. maybe he wasn’t cut out for new york, but i’m not sure how anyone can call themselves a yankee fan and look down their nose at possibly re-signing him. well, unless you’re actually HAPPY with that rotation. good luck with that.

there are distinctions between how much they were paid, but you can’t really expect me to believe that anyone was happy with vazquez’s season last year or AJ’s current contract. i’d rather have a guy like pavano than AJ. looking back at how it rolled out, i think i’d rather have a player go on the DL for most of the season than pay a player to compile a 10-15 record with an ERA over 5. you can argue that “at least he’s playing,” and I’d argue that you’re throwing 16 and a half MILLION DOLLARS this year to AJ Burnett. 16 and a half MILLION DOLLARS! that’s slightly under half of Pavano’s 4 year deal in 2005.

if pavano jerked them around so much, why did they keep him?

oh right, because he was pretty darned effective before he went on the dl. i forgot.

• uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:53 PM

To madhatternalice – If you can’t tell the reason for my total dislike of Pavano from my earlier post it won’t do any good to restate it. As for the Yankees cutting him they would still have been on the hook for whatever balance of monies were still owed on his contract at the time. As for trading him, who would they have traded him to and still not lost whatever they would have still owed him. I’ve already stated he pitched -0- games in 2006, 2 in 2007 and 7 in 2008 what team in their right mind would have given the Yankees anything for him. Again as far as my total dislike for Pavano it has absolutely nothing to do with what I think of the current Yankees rotation. As for calling myself a Yankee fan, I have been a avid Yankee fan since the mid 1950’s through both the very good years and some lean years. So unless you know me personally which you don’t please don’t question my loyalty to the Yankees as a fan.
        One final comment to address you last statement and I quote “if pavano jerked them around so much, why did they keep him? oh right, because he was pretty darned effective before he went on the dl. i forgot” end quote.
        For all the reasons I stated above. He was like the proverbial bad penny they couldn’t get rid of him.

• madhatternalice - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM

@uyf1950

Sadly, you seem to have some sort of selective memory. Yes, he started zero games in 2006. He started 2 in 2007 and 7 in 2008. But what about 2005? You know, the first year of his contract? He started 17 games in 2005, helping the Yankees win the division.

But, of course, that doesn’t help your argument, so you leave those facts out. That’s fine: we all have selective memory.

Regardless, you are, of course, entitled to your opinion about Pavano, however misguided I think it might be. If you don’t want Pavano back on your team, I can respect that. But really, this smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face. When the Yankees finish second in the AL East this year, and miss the playoffs, I wonder how many people will look back at the starting rotation and wonder “What if we had done more?”

And that’s my whole point. Go ahead, demonize Pavano. But I just can’t understand how that hate can overshadow the needs of the team.

Suppose they did sign Pavano. Now, let’s suppose he starts his 2011 the same way he started his 2005 for the Yankees: with seven QSs in the first 10 games. Would the hate still continue? Of course it wouldn’t.

I am a lifelong Orioles fan, it’s true. And while I loathe Mike Mussina for leaving to “take the money,” I’d also welcome him back with open arms.

Well, not as a player. He’s old. But you know what I mean :)

• uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM

To madhatternalice: I didn’t leave out 2005 if you go back to my initial post on this subject you will see I clearly stated of his 26 games started over 4 years 17 were in in 2005 (that comment appeared in my post at 3:09pm). I did not rehash it because my subsequent post were referencing his value or lack of value for the Yankee to have have traded him and/or buy him out. Having not pitched at all in 2006 and with his staggering propensity to be injured in both 2007 and 2008 who would the Yankees have traded him to was my point in the subsequent posts. That’s why I did not reference his 1st year in 2005. It had absolutely nothing to do with making or not making my case. You continue to try and speak for others in your latest comment with comments like “Suppose they did sign Pavano. Now, let’s suppose he starts his 2011 the same way he started his 2005 for the Yankees: with seven QSs in the first 10 games. Would the hate still continue? Of course it wouldn’t”. As for your reference to Mussina your “what if” case would have been a completely different situation. If you can’t see the difference between a pitcher leaving for money and pitching the entire time he’s gone versus the Pavano circumstances there is no point in discussing this further. Like you said we’re entitled to our opinion.

• ippy369 - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM

There are a number of distinctions between Vazquez and Pavano. The Yankees traded a player we don’t really miss for Vazquez (and who worked out for his new team just as badly) and it was only a one year experiment. Pavano on the other hand, was a 4 year signing, he pitched, what, 40 games during that span? Near the end, when it became clear he was not going to be an effective pitcher during his tenure, the Yankees asked him to forfeit his roster spot for the duration. He even refused this saying he was unwilling to give up the perks associated with being on a major league roster. While certainly within his rights, this was a clear insult to the Yankees and it’s fan base. Not only were we paying his, by all accounts, disproportionately high salary, but he was also using a roster spot that could have been better used by any healthy player in the Yankees organization. I think that if they had brought Pavano back to New York, there would have practically been rioting in the streets after his ridiculous behavior during the previous contract.

9. skyjo - Jan 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM

1. What’s a half sheet? I mean, I assume it has something to do with newpapers, but..?

2. Aside: When I decide to comment on a post, it says I need to be ‘logged in’. So I click on the link and log in. But then, I’m taken to some g.d. workpress dashboard, with seemingly no link back to the blog post that I wanted to comment on. That really grinds my gears. Craig, could you fix that? Thanks.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Half-sheet is a tabloid, so named because it is folded from a “half-sheet” of newspaper stock. Like the freebie shoppers that come once a week telling of lost cast and sales at Mike’s Superama.
      We had a running joke in Chicago about the Tribune (broadsheet) being for affluent suburbanites who had big bathrooms, and the urban dwellers with smaller facilities.

• ippy369 - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM

There are generally two newspaper layouts. The broadsheets have two folds — one parallel to the text, and another perpendicular to the text — a la the New York Times and Wall Street Journal. The half sheets have only one fold — perpendicular to the lines of text. Examples of half sheets include the New York Post and Daily News.

• skyjo - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Thank you both…. Now if only someone could do something about issue #2….

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Issue #2: I know, it’s annoying. I have to deal with it each morning.

10. jmad34 - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

In related news, the signing of Rafael Soriano has been finalized.

11. Jonny 5 - Jan 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM

So, who was saying Blanton wasn’t worth his 8.5 million to any team again?? I was ridiculed for saying he could be traded without the Phills eating much, if any of his salary. Looks like I might have been right afterall.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM

As far as I’m aware, there’s a probable scenario of which you may be thought of as possibly incorrect on some aspect of your argument.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM

The eating part? I know Joe likes his his free lunch incentives and all. At least for now the whole Fat Joe and the terror squad dream lives on El Bravo, at least for awhile anyway.. And I liiiiike it!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Long live Fat Joe!!!! Down with the Terror Squad!

• Jonny 5 - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM

LOL!! Well I hope Hudson winds up like the auto that bears his namesake!!! Yeah, it’s like that.

12. marshmallowsnake - Jan 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Desperate times do call for desperate measures!

13. baseballstars - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Unbelievable. Just goes to show Cashman has been overrated for years. This is like letting your daughter go out on a date with a man who raped her years ago.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4005)