Jan 19, 2011, 9:02 AM EST
Sometimes I get nostalgic for the winter of 2009-10. It was a simpler time. Bert Blyleven wasn’t a Hall of Famer, people thought that the Mariners won the Milton Bradley-Carlos Silva trade and every other post on HardballTalk was about Johnny Damon. Let’s relive that for a moment, shall we?
The Blue Jays avoided salary arbitration with outfielder Rajai Davis on Tuesday, signing him to a two-year, $5.75 million contract. However, the team continues to explore other leadoff options, including free agents Scott Podsednik and Johnny Damon, major league sources say.
Damon is a lefty, which would help the Jays. Rosenthal notes that he’s not a base-stealing threat any longer, but that may not be too big a deal for Toronto given that their offense is built on hitting approximately eleventy-billion home runs. Damon can still get on base at a passable clip, so he may fit nicely.
There’s no sense that anything is imminent here and Rosenthal mentions that the Angels may still be interested in both Damon and Podsednik too, and this morning he tweeted about maybe the Yankees taking a look at him. Still, it’s fun talking about Damon again. I hope a frenzy is created. I have about two dozen posts about him in the can that I’m sure I could repurpose if I had to.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)