Jan 19, 2011, 9:02 AM EST
Sometimes I get nostalgic for the winter of 2009-10. It was a simpler time. Bert Blyleven wasn’t a Hall of Famer, people thought that the Mariners won the Milton Bradley-Carlos Silva trade and every other post on HardballTalk was about Johnny Damon. Let’s relive that for a moment, shall we?
The Blue Jays avoided salary arbitration with outfielder Rajai Davis on Tuesday, signing him to a two-year, $5.75 million contract. However, the team continues to explore other leadoff options, including free agents Scott Podsednik and Johnny Damon, major league sources say.
Damon is a lefty, which would help the Jays. Rosenthal notes that he’s not a base-stealing threat any longer, but that may not be too big a deal for Toronto given that their offense is built on hitting approximately eleventy-billion home runs. Damon can still get on base at a passable clip, so he may fit nicely.
There’s no sense that anything is imminent here and Rosenthal mentions that the Angels may still be interested in both Damon and Podsednik too, and this morning he tweeted about maybe the Yankees taking a look at him. Still, it’s fun talking about Damon again. I hope a frenzy is created. I have about two dozen posts about him in the can that I’m sure I could repurpose if I had to.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 286
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (286)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)