The Blue Jays may be interested in Johnny Damon

Jan 19, 2011, 9:02 AM EDT

Johnny Damon

Sometimes I get nostalgic for the winter of 2009-10. It was a simpler time. Bert Blyleven wasn’t a Hall of Famer, people thought that the Mariners won the Milton Bradley-Carlos Silva trade and every other post on HardballTalk was about Johnny Damon.  Let’s relive that for a moment, shall we?

The Blue Jays avoided salary arbitration with outfielder Rajai Davis on Tuesday, signing him to a two-year, $5.75 million contract. However, the team continues to explore other leadoff options, including free agents Scott Podsednik and Johnny Damon, major league sources say.

Damon is a lefty, which would help the Jays.  Rosenthal notes that he’s not a base-stealing threat any longer, but that may not be too big a deal for Toronto given that their offense is built on hitting approximately eleventy-billion home runs. Damon can still get on base at a passable clip, so he may fit nicely.

There’s no sense that anything is imminent here and Rosenthal mentions that the Angels may still be interested in both Damon and Podsednik too, and this morning he tweeted about maybe the Yankees taking a look at him.  Still, it’s fun talking about Damon again. I hope a frenzy is created. I have about two dozen posts about him in the can that I’m sure I could repurpose if I had to.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM

This story has more credibility than the story that the Jays were interested in Manny as Damon is more versatile than Manny. On the other hand, I think that Rosenthal also reported that the Jays were more interested in Podsednik than Damon. This does not surprise me, because John Farrell would like more speed on the roster. Podsednik would be a better fit for the Toronto roster than Damon. He would give them more options.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 19, 2011 at 10:23 AM

A minor correction. It appears that Rosenthal actually reported that the Angels were more interested in Podsednik than Damon. I still think that if the Jays prefer one of them, it would be Podsednik. Unlike some segments of the US media, Rosenthal is right a lot of the time when he comments about The Jays.

2. uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I don’t know how much interest the Jays have in Damon but what I can tell everyone is the time for nostalgia and seeing Damon in a Yankee uniform is over. There is about as much chance of seeing Damon in a Yankee uniform in 2011 as there is of finding the “Reggie Bar” at the concession stands in the stadium. Ain’t gonna happen.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Don’t hate on poor ol’ Johnny, although he did really screw up his own retention last year. Maybe we wouldn’t be oogling someone who can’t spell their name conventionally if Damon had told Scott where to go.

• uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I just think Damon’s time with the Yankees has come and gone. He had his chance at fame and fortune with the Yankees but he chose to go to the Tigers. Lest we not forget and I quote Damon himself “a place he always want to be”. I wish him the best but the Yankees don’t need him and apparently it seems like most of the other ML teams don’t either.

3. BC - Jan 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM

What will be interesting is if he sticks around 3 more years. He’d almost assuredly have 3000 hits at that point. Would be an interesting HOF test case for that milestone. I’ve never thought of him as an HOF’er, not even really close.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jan 19, 2011 at 12:26 PM

He’d probably have 400+ stolen bases too. Interesting point.

4. andrewkw - Jan 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Damon would be an upgrade over Davis and Davis can trail him defensively coming in for defense on a daily basis.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5089)