The Mariners decline to name a permanent replacement for Dave Niehaus. Good for them.

Jan 19, 2011, 3:45 PM EDT

Dave Niehaus

A couple of weeks ago it was reported that the Mariners were considering forgoing naming a permanent replacement for the late Dave Niehaus in favor of using a revolving cast of part-time broadcasters to fill the void. Today they announced that they’ll do exactly that:

Randy Adamack, the Mariners’ vice president of communications, confirmed Wednesday that the club will employ at least five announcers with prior experience in the booth on a rotating basis to work primarily with Rick Rizzs on radio broadcasts for the upcoming season.

Rizzs, who worked alongside Niehaus for 25 years, will be the main play-by-play man on radio. His partners will be Ron Fairly, Ken Levine, Ken Wilson, Dave Valle and Dan Wilson, with more names possibly being added to that list, Adamack said.

This is the right move. Like I said before, whoever comes in, no matter how good a job they do, is going to be judged harshly compared to Niehaus. Anyone would.  The bond between fans and a good everyday broadcaster is stronger than some might think.  Give everyone some time.

1. Dug - Jan 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM

From 1963 until 1983, from childhood to my mid 20’s I listened to Vin Scully and the Dodger broadcasts in Los Angeles. I listened to Dick Enberg and Dave Niehaus call the Angel games too.

I moved to Seattle in 1984 and was graced to hear a familiar voice calling the Mariner games. There could not be a more fortunate fan of the game than I. I have spent nearly 50 years listening to the two best baseball announcers who ever sat behind a microphone work their magic on a nightly basis. I have satellite radio today just so that I can listen to the smooth way that each man calls the game.

I will never forget Vin Scully’s wonderful stories and his home run call…….”She’s gone”.
    I will just as vividly recall Dave Niehaus’ calling a pitch down and away “LOOOOOOWWWW” in that deep, deep baritone/bass and especially his grand slam signature call…..”Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it’s grand salami time”.

MY-OH-MY!!

2. cup0pizza - Jan 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Niehaus was way too much of a homer. Kind of irritating.

• Utley's Hair - Jan 19, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Nothing wrong with being a homer, unless you’re covering national or regional games, a la Schmuck and McCarebear—they’re just REALLY irritating.

3. sabosgoggles - Jan 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I wish more teams would do this. I listen to O’s games on the radio all summer, and by June there’s nothing that Joe Angel and Fred Manfra can say that I haven’t already heard 20 times already. A little variety would be nice.

• andrewf16 - Jan 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I wouldn’t mind Fred Manfra rotated, I could take or leave him. But I must insist on leaving Joe Angel in.

4. smokehouse56 - Jan 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM

We Philly fans have not yet got over the death of Harry the K (Kalas). I live on my farm, work late in the barn and various buildings and in the summer we have the Phillies game on every night as we work. We also lost another Phillies icon, Richie Ashburn. The two made Phillies music. Niehaus was a great play by play announcer and I am sure he will be missed. I don’t think team management realize the bond these announcers have with their fans. Can you imagine the NY Yankees fired Mel Allen in 1964. Years after his death, he is still promoted as having been the “Voice of the New York Yankees”. In fact his plaque in monument park at the new Yankee Stadium confirms this.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3527)