Jan 20, 2011, 6:15 AM EDT
Some people within the organization were telling friends that the divide between Cashman and the team’s Tampa operation is growing again, and even that ownership wasn’t happy with some of Cashman’s recent moves. Last winter, Cashman traded for Javier Vazquez and signed Nick Johnson and Randy Winn as free agents, and none of those moves worked out well. There was even talk that Cashman had mishandled the Lee negotiations by showing too much patience, rather than pushing to get a deal done quickly.
Of course second guessing is an easy game and there are two sides to every story. If the front office was willing to step in to sign Soriano now, why wouldn’t they have stepped in to block the Javier Vazquez trade or the Nick Johnson signing last year if they hated those deals so much? And while it’s theoretically possible that an early, overwhelming offer to Cliff Lee may have changed things, almost everything that was being reported about Lee back in November and December was that he wanted to take things slowly.
I still maintain that the Soriano signing is not, in and of itself, a worrisome thing as it relates to Cashman’s actual power. Owners overrule GMs all the time. But Cashman’s surprising candor on the topic has certainly emboldened people in the organization to start airing the dirty laundry. And that — more than any one signing — is the kind of thing that can kill someone in New York.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)