Jan 20, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
I thought of doing something cute and copying and pasting an article about Nomar Garciaparra from a couple of years ago but changing all the names, but that would take a lot of work, so we’ll play it straight:
The Dodgers worked out free-agent third baseman Eric Chavez at their Camelback Ranch-Glendale training facility in Arizona on Thursday … If the Dodgers are impressed, they would be looking at Chavez as a backup or platoon-mate with Casey Blake at third base and a power left-handed bat off the bench. They would likely offer him an incentive-filled Minor League contract, as their 40-man roster if full.
In all seriousness, I’ve made too much fun of Chavez recently and I’m going to stop. I’ve hated to see a talent like his out of the game so much these past several years. It was the same with Garciaparra too, actually. There was a time when each of them were electrifying, and any fan would love to see someone like them be productive again, if only for a little while.
I think the odds are stacked high against Chavez, but I hope he beats them.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)