Eric Chavez worked out for the Dodgers today

Jan 20, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT

Eric Chavez

I thought of doing something cute and copying and pasting an article about Nomar Garciaparra from a couple of years ago but changing all the names, but that would take a lot of work, so we’ll play it straight:

The Dodgers worked out free-agent third baseman Eric Chavez at their Camelback Ranch-Glendale training facility in Arizona on Thursday … If the Dodgers are impressed, they would be looking at Chavez as a backup or platoon-mate with Casey Blake at third base and a power left-handed bat off the bench. They would likely offer him an incentive-filled Minor League contract, as their 40-man roster if full.

In all seriousness, I’ve made too much fun of Chavez recently and I’m going to stop. I’ve hated to see a talent like his out of the game so much these past several years. It was the same with Garciaparra too, actually.  There was a time when each of them were electrifying, and any fan would love to see someone like them be productive again, if only for a little while.

I think the odds are stacked high against Chavez, but I hope he beats them.

1. cup0pizza - Jan 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Yawn. The nightmare offseason of the Dodgers continues. They just love contemplating about/ actually adding broken-down players.

2. phukyouk - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM

but the question remains.. is he in the best…..

3. bcopus - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM

He’s at least in the best condition of someone else’s life, if not his own. And if you don’t think about it too much, that’s a good thing.

4. mgflolox - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM

You gotta admit, Chavvy must really love the game to work so hard to try to come back. When he signed his big contract, he was at about the point in his career that Evan Longoria and Ryan Zimmerman are right now. It’s a shame injuries wiped out what could have been a HOF-caliber career. As an A’s fan I hope that at some point, the A’s bring him back into the organization in some capacity.

5. spudchukar - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Next to the crafty left-handed reliever, is there any more advantageous scenario then a lefty 3B, with some pop? Don’t know how much pop is left, but with his arm and hands I’ll bet he is still more than adequate defensively. Worth a flier in my book, especially in the AL where he has the DH option.

Three legends off to Cooperstown