ESPN to televise 10 spring training games

Jan 20, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT

old TV

ESPN just announced that they will televise 10 spring training games. The schedule breaks down as follows:

March 3:  Detroit vs. Atlanta – 1 p.m. ET
March 14:  N.Y. Yankees vs. Boston – 7 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
March 16: Boston vs. Atlanta – 1 p.m. ET
March 21:  Boston vs. Philadelphia – 1 p.m. ET
March 22:  N.Y. Yankees vs. Baltimore – 1 p.m. ET
March 23:  N.Y. Mets vs. St. Louis – 1 p.m. ET
March 24:  Chicago White Sox vs. Cubs – 5 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
March 25:  Atlanta vs. Philadelphia – 1 p.m. ET
March 26:  Chicago Cubs vs. Texas – 4 p.m. ET (ESPN2)
March 29: Detroit at N.Y. Yankees – 1 p.m. ET

Yes, the World Champion Giants are mysteriously absent here, although they do kick off the Sunday Night Baseball schedule on April 3, if that means anything. The bigger issue for me is that only two Cactus League games will be televised. That’s a bummer. While we’re all crazy-go-nuts baseball fans here, remember that ESPN is trying to appeal to as many viewers as possible with a bunch of games that really have no impact on anything, hence three appearances each by the Red Sox and Yankees. So while that’s not fair to the rest of the country, it’s the reality of the situation. Hey, at least ESPN is trying to make Craig happy.

1. Adam - Jan 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM

So, now that Boston has shipped off a bunch of their top talent for Adrian Gonzalez, ESPN is going to air baseball games that will mostly feature Boston’s minor leaguers?

Interesting decision.

I understand the reasoning behind it, name recognition and all, but I’d be more interested in watching the Royals and I’m not even a Royals fan.

2. Andrew - Jan 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I’d prefer to watch the Royals as well, but that opinion is not going to be shared by the majority of the audience for these games, hence Yankees and Red Sox aplenty.

3. writtenbyross - Jan 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Aw, man, for I moment I thought I’d had a chance to see the Tribe before they were officially out of the playoff race.

4. Utley's Hair - Jan 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Wow…as many Bravos games as the Wankers and BooSux? Craig must be giggling like a giddy little school girl.

Hey, DJ. You and Drew are checking in kinda early, arncha?

5. sknut - Jan 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Isn’t sprint training an opportuntity to televise teams that won’t appear once the regular season starts?

6. Windu - Jan 20, 2011 at 3:21 PM

the braves play at Champion’s Stadium which is part of ESPN Wide World of Sports, so its not surprising that they have a lot of games shown.

7. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM

It’s ESPN. Nobody there picked the Giants last year, so they don’t actually know who won the World Series. They think that the Yankees or the Sox did.

8. sportsdrenched - Jan 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM

I don’t normally complain about baseball on TV in March. I’m just glad that it’s any kind of baseball.

As a Royals fan I’d rather watch the Royals in Spring Training too. But that would involve ESPN sending a crew west of the Appilachians. Are they allowed to do that?

There will be plenty of Phillies, BoSox, and NYY on National TV late in the summer anyway.

9. Jonny 5 - Jan 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM

I can almost smell baseball season. MMMM, or is that fish sticks and chicken fingers?

• Utley's Hair - Jan 20, 2011 at 8:40 PM

That’s aces and Chooch you smell, Jonny!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!! Oh, that actually sounds kinda nasty….

10. clydeserra - Jan 20, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Does ESPN know that half the teams play in Arizona?

I see the cubs in there, maybe they think the cubs are playing “exhibition” exhibition games in AZ as a one off.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey