Jan 20, 2011, 7:41 PM EDT
UPDATE, 7:41 PM: According to Mychael Urban of CSN Bay Area, this one is done. If Suppan manages to find a spot on the Giants’ Opening Day roster, he will earn a $1 million salary.
2:16 PM: From Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News comes word that the Giants are nearing agreement on a minor league contract with veteran right-hander Jeff Suppan.
The deal will also come with an invitation to spring training, where Suppan will attempt to land a spot in the Giants’ bullpen as a long reliever. If that doesn’t work out, he’ll probably begin the year at Triple-A Fresno and serve as rotation depth.
Suppan, 36, posted a 5.06 ERA and 1.65 WHIP across 101.1 innings for the Brewers and Cardinals last season, fanning only 51 batters while walking 37. It was the final chapter of a ridiculous four-year, $42 million contract that he signed with Milwaukee in December of 2006.
His fastball velocity is poor and he shouldn’t be trusted as a regular member of any starting rotation, but Suppan is capable of eating some innings for San Francisco in the event of an emergency.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)