Jan 20, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
The Rangers have had a pretty hectic offseason.
After losing to the Giants in the World Series, they found themselves in almost instant contract talks with Cliff Lee right up until mid-December. Once Lee signed with the Phillies, the Rangers countered with the additions of Brandon Webb and Adrian Beltre.
Naturally, there hasn’t been much time for general manager Jon Daniels to talk about that long-anticipated contract extension, but now that the team’s roster has taken shape, Rangers president Nolan Ryan told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas that he expects something to get done soon.
“I would expect that to be done before spring training,” Ryan said. “If he hadn’t been on vacation for the last 10 days, we probably would have been much further along on that. It’s hard for me to predict what timeline we’re dealing with, but it’s going to be a priority these next couple of weeks.”
Daniels, who was named the 2010 Executive of the Year by Baseball America in December, has one year left on his current deal. While there’s optimism that something will get done soon, the Rangers will also be talking with reigning American League MVP Josh Hamilton, who filed for $12 million in arbitration earlier this week.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (75)