Jan 20, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
The Rangers have had a pretty hectic offseason.
After losing to the Giants in the World Series, they found themselves in almost instant contract talks with Cliff Lee right up until mid-December. Once Lee signed with the Phillies, the Rangers countered with the additions of Brandon Webb and Adrian Beltre.
Naturally, there hasn’t been much time for general manager Jon Daniels to talk about that long-anticipated contract extension, but now that the team’s roster has taken shape, Rangers president Nolan Ryan told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas that he expects something to get done soon.
“I would expect that to be done before spring training,” Ryan said. “If he hadn’t been on vacation for the last 10 days, we probably would have been much further along on that. It’s hard for me to predict what timeline we’re dealing with, but it’s going to be a priority these next couple of weeks.”
Daniels, who was named the 2010 Executive of the Year by Baseball America in December, has one year left on his current deal. While there’s optimism that something will get done soon, the Rangers will also be talking with reigning American League MVP Josh Hamilton, who filed for $12 million in arbitration earlier this week.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)