Jan 20, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
The Rangers have had a pretty hectic offseason.
After losing to the Giants in the World Series, they found themselves in almost instant contract talks with Cliff Lee right up until mid-December. Once Lee signed with the Phillies, the Rangers countered with the additions of Brandon Webb and Adrian Beltre.
Naturally, there hasn’t been much time for general manager Jon Daniels to talk about that long-anticipated contract extension, but now that the team’s roster has taken shape, Rangers president Nolan Ryan told Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas that he expects something to get done soon.
“I would expect that to be done before spring training,” Ryan said. “If he hadn’t been on vacation for the last 10 days, we probably would have been much further along on that. It’s hard for me to predict what timeline we’re dealing with, but it’s going to be a priority these next couple of weeks.”
Daniels, who was named the 2010 Executive of the Year by Baseball America in December, has one year left on his current deal. While there’s optimism that something will get done soon, the Rangers will also be talking with reigning American League MVP Josh Hamilton, who filed for $12 million in arbitration earlier this week.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)