Jan 20, 2011, 10:27 AM EST
The Royals should have a big crowd on April 2nd. And not just for the Royals-Angels game scheduled that afternoon:
According to team spokesman Toby Cook, the Royals are planning to hold a minor league exhibition game between its top two minor league affiliates, Class AAA Omaha and Class AA Northwest Arkansas, on April 2 at Kauffman Stadium. The showdown will take place approximately 30 minutes after the Royals conclude their game against the Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim, which is scheduled to start at 12:10 p.m.
With Mike Moustakas, Eric Hosmer, Mike Montgomery and all of the other studs in the Royals system, the question has to be asked whether it wouldn’t be better to start a combined roster of the AAA and AA teams against the Angels that afternoon and let Jeff Francoeur, Melky Cabrera and the current major leaguers play a game that doesn’t count.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)