The Yankees sign Andruw Jones

Jan 20, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT

White Sox Jones hits homerun against Twins in Minneapolis

Did someone mention scoops? Add one to Jon Heyman’s list: the Yankees have signed Andruw Jones to a one-year, $2 million contract, with another $1.2 million possible in performance-based incentives.

Jones will be a fourth outfielder/DH/Designated lefty-masher next year. Between platooning at the corners, days off and injuries, he could get the same number of plate appearances in New York next year that he’s had the last couple of years in Chicago and Texas: 300 and change.

Seems like a perfect fit.

1. pisano - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM

That’s just great, now get what you really need a fourth or fifth starter.

2. yankeesfanlen - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Is there a 25 cent milage penalty for over 300 ABS in this lease? What’s the residual, oh I’ll check with Marcus Thames.

3. uyf1950 - Jan 20, 2011 at 4:44 PM

In my opinion this is a good deal for the Yankees. Not a lot of money and the Yankees needed another right hand bat for the outfield. If Jones matches last years performance this is well worth it.

pisano, my friend don’t worry I feel it in my bones that another starter is just just around the corner for the Yankees. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the minor league prospect makes a very good impression during spring training. I know fans will disagree with me but I like the upside potential to Duchscherer if the Yankees were to sign him on the cheap.

• pisano - Jan 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM

uyf1950… While I don’t like the .230 BA I agree with your take on the signing. Jones still is an above average outfielder much better than Johnny Damon and he has some sock left in his bat. I also agree with Duchscherer if the price is right, but I’m hoping for a trade for a solid # 4 or # 5 starter. I also hope they haven’t waited too long to move Joba his stock has certainly dropped. I’m hoping other teams feel the Yankees mishandled his situation and that a teams feels they can fix him(God help that team) and will offer to make a decent trade for him. It may never happen, but you can always hope.

• phukyouk - Jan 20, 2011 at 6:47 PM

this is one of those who gives a fu*k signings. he works out cash looks like a genius. he doesnt work out and who cares cause its only money and its not like we cant pick up someone at the deadline. they are a dime a dozen at that time. in regards to both of your opinions on pitching i would still take Mr. Perfect (Almost anyway) over whatever else is left. i mean hes 28, god decent stuff and assuming it doesnt cost the yankees much in the way of a trade why not? anyone is an upgrade over Mitre. i liked what i saw in Nova enough to allow him a few shots, at the very least through mid May. and as for Joba i REALLY want to see him on the Muts. if nothing else to give him a chance to prove hes got real stuff and in NY no less.

4. joshv02 - Jan 20, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Good signing, but, Craig, as a vet of BaseballThinkFactory you should know that MGL (and Neyer) wouldn’t really like the “lefty masher” moniker – and for good reason. Here, in fact, Jones has a perfectly normal platoon split for a RH hitter. So, the best idea for the Yankees was to get the best RH hitter OFer they could sign regardless of last year’s platoon split (which is not predictive – he’d is expected to do about 10% better against lefties even though he was obviously much better last year). I don’t think that was Jones (Diaz would have been better, for example), but Jones isn’t a bad candidate.

The other thing to keep in mind with Jones is that he has played in two of the best hitting stadiums in the past two years. So his decline has been masked pretty well.

Finally, his middle name is Rudolf. Which is unforgivable.

5. jh0088 - Jan 20, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I see this as a major problem for the Yankees if Jones takes playing time away from Brett Gardner. I know I am beginning to repeat myself in the comment section here, but the every day lineup of the Yankees should be better than it was last year if Gardner is allowed to become the every day lead off hitter.

Jeter does not have the average or the speed to lead off and steal bases anymore, and the team has the perfect Ichiro type table setter in Gardner who should have the confidence to take over that role this year. Yet I fear this signing means that Girardi is going to play matchups on a daily basis where he sits Gardner for Jones whenever there is a lefty on the mound. And that is too often to hurt your lineup and take a dip in your defense.

For that matter, both Gardner and Granderson need to play every day against Lefties in order to see them often enough too be effective against them in the Post Season.

I’ll promise to wait and see how Girardi handles his lineup this year, but I want to go on record (mostly so I can say I told you so later) that the signing of Jones could be an indication of a strategic philosophy that is going to lead to more losses than wins the days he plays because both offense and defense will suffer.

Of course if Girardi doesn’t bother leading Gardner off every day, and leaves Jeter with that job, this entire point is moot because Gardner will be hamstrung in how much he can contribute to this team.

Jones is a fine player, but I just do not think he is right for this particular team.

• yankeesfanlen - Jan 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I agree with ALL your points. Gardner is progressing very well and may become the standard bearer in left for years to come, and he needs maximum playing time.

As ufy mentioned, a farm system rookie could hold down 5th starter. Completely beyond our control is that ARod and especially Tex have to come through offensively. If the runs are there we’ll make it through til the trade deadline.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Most likely Granderson sits vs Lefties, Gardner slides to center and Jones plays LF. At least that is what should happen.

• BC - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Granderson couldn’t hit a lefty if he walked up to him and launched a punch at his forehead.

6. proudlycanadian - Jan 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Is he in the best shape of his life?

• hep3 - Jan 20, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I heard he was working out in Los Angeles and is ready to perform like he did for the Dodgers.

• BC - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Would that shape be round? Bobby-Jenks-like?

7. uyf1950 - Jan 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Like I said above I like the signing. This is a 1 year deal, period. After this year even if Montero isn’t the full time Yankee catcher come 2012 he will be the DH. As for Jones spelling Gardner that will happen he will also be spelling Swisher in right as he has had some nagging minor injuries over the past year. So again I like the signing. As for where Gardner bats in the line up. I doubt there is one Yankee fan that doesn’t want Garder in the lead off spot. Unfortunately, Jeter being Jeter I have not doubt he will start the season leading off and move down to second if he doesn’t improve over last years second half season. It doesn’t make it right it makes it the way it is. And I don’t think where Jeter bats in the order is entirely up to Girardi at least not this year. It pains me to say this but I don’t think Jeter was or is the consummate team player everyone seem to think he is…and he is going to have to be moved out of the number 1 or 2 spot in the batting order kicking and screaming. My hope is that at some point during this winters negotiations that where he batted in the order going forward was at least approached.

8. BC - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Kind of an “eh” signing. Look at it as insurance if an OF gets nicked up for a bit. Doubt he’ll see much time at DH, depending on how the Jorge/Martin catcher platoon works and who else gets nicked up.

• uyf1950 - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

He will probably get about 200AB. Which is what Thames got in the same roll in 2010.

9. cintiphil - Jan 23, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I just can not believe that the ranks of major league players is that thin. Can he still play?

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act