Jan 21, 2011, 2:09 PM EST
Jayson Stark’s latest is what he believes to be baseball’s “All Underrated Team.” The roster:
It’s not a terrible list, though as many people have noted since it came out a a few minutes ago, there is a serious omission: Shin-Soo Choo in right. He’s both better and less-heralded than Cuddyer. Maybe this is performance art: by not even including him on an underrated list, Stark is showing just how truly underrated he is!
I’m a little skeptical about Carlos Ruiz’s inclusion. He’s good, but if anything I think that, by virtue of some big hits he’s had during nationally-televised games, people are quite high on him. Maybe even a touch too high. In some ways he’s the baseball equivalent of basektball’s Ben Wallace: he was underrated for so long, but the minute people began to take notice, he became slightly overrated. At no time has anyone rated him truly fairly.
Fun list, though. Stark’s explanations of all of his inclusions are all illuminating. It’s certainly a list of guys who don’t tend to get a lot of spotlight and it’s good to read about them even if we debate the severity of their underrating.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 18
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 32
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 19
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)