Jan 21, 2011, 10:52 AM EST
UPDATE: It’s official: Hayhurst has signed a minor league deal with the Rays. We know this from a news release. We know it more colorfully from Hayhurt’s own tweet:
Why hello there, Tampa fans. My name is Dirk. My hobbies include writing, speaking, pretending to be a giant firebreathing giraffe/moose.
Oh, Fortuna, please let him make the team.
Thursday, 2:06 PM: Hurm. Rob’s tweet was taken down. Perchance this was premature exuberance. Here’s hoping the best for Dirk regardless.
Thursday, 1:39 PM: Rob Neyer reports — and last night I’m pretty sure the man himself hinted — that Dirk Hayhurst of “Bullpen Gospels” fame is going to sign with the Rays. I’m hoping Hayhurst does well in Tampa Bay, makes the team and sticks in The Show for a while, because he’s an awesome guy.
But really, this may be more notable for its literary implications than anything else. Hayhurst no doubt has another book in him. Friend of HBT Jonah Keri has a book about the Rays coming out very, very soon. How awesome would it be if Hayhurst learns all kinds of neat things about the Rays from the inside and subsequently writes his own book about them, totally debunking what Jonah writes? It would be the most awesome baseball nerd fight of all time. I hereby proclaim HardballTalk as neutral territory where Dirk and Jonah can argue about it all.
Or maybe not. Either way, good look Garfoose.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 18
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (72)