Hey! A ranking in which the Mets are number one!

Jan 21, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT

mets logo

And it’s not even a list of dubious achievements!

I’m no Mets fan, but I have always loved this logo: the distinctive dark skyline, the white bridge symbolizing the five boroughs, the classic Mets script, the terrific color scheme of orange and blue. My only suggestion: Mr. Met should have it tattooed around his whole head.

That’s Jim Caple, ranking the MLB team logos, with the Metropolitans in the top spot.  I have to agree, it’s a choice logo. It’s satisfying on a number of levels and I’ve always loved it, alternating between it and the Dodgers logo as being the best (Jim as the Dodgers at #4).

I also agree with his last place pick — the Indians — because Chief Wahoo is probably the worst thing there is of all baseball-related things, including the kiss-cam, “Cotton-eyed Joe” and fouling balls off your instep and having it ricochet into your athletic supporter.

In between there’s great room for debate.  Fun column.

1. Jonny 5 - Jan 21, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Hey Beavis, check this out…

hehehehehe…

2. Panda Claus - Jan 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Craig, you left “the wave” off your worst list. Sure that was just an oversight.

3. sdelmonte - Jan 21, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I never gave it much thought. I would love that logo no matter what. And I come from a land of classic logos (the Yanks, but also those two teams who use that odd oblong ball and actually got rid of the newer logos in favor of the classics, and the Rangers). But it’s good that outside observers appreciate the Mets logo too.

There aren’t any that really bother me aside from Cleveland’s.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM

OMG, Craig, This was soooo two days ago.

5. BC - Jan 21, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaahhhhh baby! My Mets rock!!! Woooooohoooo!!!!!!!
    (pause for deep breath)
    I’ve actually thought the Tigers logo was the best. Completely classic and old school.
    Best logo ever in sports – Chicago Blackhawks home jersey. Followed of course by my hometown Hartford Whalers home jersey (cue ‘Brass Bonanza’).

6. davebrownspiral - Jan 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Really? We’re still whining about how “offensive” and “insensitive” the Indians logo is? World has alot bigger problems than some stupid baseball logo that a miniscule percent of the society and the baseball world has a problem with.

But yes, as a Yankees fan, the Mets logo is very well designed.

• BC - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM

And the Washington Redskins logo and team name isn’t offensive?
      Right with you, davebrownspiral.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

If it’s wrong, it should be changed. You can’t argue that it’s wrong.

7. apbaguy - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Since you opened up the discussion of “the worst thing of all baseball-related things”, you should have mentioned Peter Angelos.

The Birds are raising single game ticket prices this year. Which means that vast sea of empty seats will now be even more expansive. It’s such a great vista for TV: a sea of green, barren as any desert, edged beautifully by a brick wall, in front of which men play a kids game that few will witness, yet from which one old man will profit handsomely.

I’d rather have the damn Indians’ logo than that guy anywhere near my team.

8. spizzjr - Jan 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM

@Davebrownspiral you’re a prick Nuff said but I agree that the argument over the Indians logo is racist(it is) is played out they’re not gonna change it but for you to call native Americans a minuscule percent of society your parents must have done a terrible job raising you or was that the nannies job?

• davebrownspiral - Jan 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM

“Nuff said”? Really? There are people out there who still use this phrase? Did I state that Native Americans are a miniscule percent of society? (Even though, statistically, they make up a very small percentage of the American population). Alot of Native Americans have no issue with the logo or depiction of their heritage in general when it comes to professional and college athletics.

Further, if being a “prick” means not being an oversensitive, politically correct, hysterical, easily offended, whiny douche, then yes, I guess I’m a prick. I can think of at least a dozen other logos that could be deemed “offensive” by the PC crowd, but there are more important things to take up a person’s time in life than crying about what sports logos offend them. Lighten up.

9. Old Gator - Jan 21, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I think the “Chief Wahoo” logo just needs a fashionable update. He should be depicted with red, sunken eyes while holding a can of beer. That, and the Indians really ought to replace their team plane with a DC-3 with the logo on the tail.

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Oh, yeah – and he should also be wearing a Mission School crucifix hanging from a malachite bead necklace. No point missing an opportunity to demonstrate how he got that way in the first place.

10. spudchukar - Jan 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Later on in the post is a rookie card with Paul Molitor and Alan Trammell. It also includes U. L. Washington. Wasn’t he the infamous player to be named later?

11. baseballstars - Jan 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I think the Yankees logo should be number one, but I do like the Mets logo. And they have the nicest batting helmets as well. I also don’t think the Indians logo is that big of a deal.

• xxakshunxx - Jan 21, 2011 at 9:05 PM

as a graphic designer and an avid ny hater, i still have to agree Yanks NY logo should be number 1 (even tho for some reason they used that one with the bat for the vote). it’s the most recognizable logo in all of sports around the entire world..

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3011)