Jan 21, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton‘s recent bout with pneumonia was actually kind of serious.
According to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Hamilton dropped 10 pounds last week while battling the lung inflammation for five days in the hosptial. The outfielder also told reporters on Friday that he’s only at about 90 percent health at the moment.
Hamilton has plenty of time to gain the weight back and work back toward 100 percent by the start of spring training. And if he can’t get all the way there, he can simply focus on conditioning and weight lifting during the first portion of camp and then catch up with regular at-bats during the later part of the Cactus League schedule. To put it plainly: he’ll be fine.
The 29-year-old won AL MVP honors last year by batting .359/.411/.633 with 32 home runs.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)