Jan 21, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton‘s recent bout with pneumonia was actually kind of serious.
According to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Hamilton dropped 10 pounds last week while battling the lung inflammation for five days in the hosptial. The outfielder also told reporters on Friday that he’s only at about 90 percent health at the moment.
Hamilton has plenty of time to gain the weight back and work back toward 100 percent by the start of spring training. And if he can’t get all the way there, he can simply focus on conditioning and weight lifting during the first portion of camp and then catch up with regular at-bats during the later part of the Cactus League schedule. To put it plainly: he’ll be fine.
The 29-year-old won AL MVP honors last year by batting .359/.411/.633 with 32 home runs.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12