Jan 21, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton‘s recent bout with pneumonia was actually kind of serious.
According to Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Hamilton dropped 10 pounds last week while battling the lung inflammation for five days in the hosptial. The outfielder also told reporters on Friday that he’s only at about 90 percent health at the moment.
Hamilton has plenty of time to gain the weight back and work back toward 100 percent by the start of spring training. And if he can’t get all the way there, he can simply focus on conditioning and weight lifting during the first portion of camp and then catch up with regular at-bats during the later part of the Cactus League schedule. To put it plainly: he’ll be fine.
The 29-year-old won AL MVP honors last year by batting .359/.411/.633 with 32 home runs.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)