Jan 21, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT
We wrote back in October about the challenges facing the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Joe Posnanski said that the place was in “grave danger.” Dr. Raymond Doswell, the museum’s interim director, wrote to me to tell me that Posnanski was overstating the problems. Dr. Doswell will likely have to write to Sam Mellinger now too, because Sam is sounding the alarm over the Museum scratching its annual Legacy Awards show, which is the biggest event on its agenda each year:
Every January for the last decade, the museum has shined. The Legacy Awards Show became its best-known event. Now, for the first time since 2000, nothing, no event, and what’s worse is that some longtime museum members are just now finding out …
The show should’ve been this weekend. Men and women should be dressing to the nines, black ties and long dresses and open checkbooks. Baseball stars like Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton would’ve been invited, and the ones who showed up would’ve smiled and told a room full of potential donors how much the museum’s legacy means to them.
All that, now gone.
Mellinger says that there’s talk about rescheduling the Legacy Awards Show for November to coincide with Buck O’Neil’s 100th birthday. I’ve had my fair share of dealings with non-profits, fundraising and the like, however, and these kinds of moves are almost always harbingers of doom. Here’s hoping this case provides an exception.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)