Jan 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
On Thursday, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes filed a report claiming that free agent Manny Ramirez would likely sign with a new team by the beginning of next week. Now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com is reporting that the Rangers are “going after” him.
A couple of other clubs have been linked to Ramirez, including the Angels, Blue Jays and Rays. But Anaheim may prefer to give Vladimir Guerrero another try and the Rays are nearing an agreement with Johnny Damon. If the Rangers really want Manny, Toronto looks to be their only competition.
And the Jays haven’t been overly aggressive to this point.
The Rangers committed to starting Michael Young at DH when they signed a big free agent deal with third baseman Adrian Beltre earlier this winter, but they can get Young more action at first base and move Mitch Moreland to a part-time role if Ramirez is brought aboard.
Manny posted a strong .870 OPS across 320 total plate appearances last season between the Dodgers and White Sox. He still has some power and it could be showcased well at the Ballpark in Arlington if the 38-year-old is truly motivated. He currently boasts a .315/.418/.486 career line at the cozy stadium.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)