Jan 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
On Thursday, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes filed a report claiming that free agent Manny Ramirez would likely sign with a new team by the beginning of next week. Now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com is reporting that the Rangers are “going after” him.
A couple of other clubs have been linked to Ramirez, including the Angels, Blue Jays and Rays. But Anaheim may prefer to give Vladimir Guerrero another try and the Rays are nearing an agreement with Johnny Damon. If the Rangers really want Manny, Toronto looks to be their only competition.
And the Jays haven’t been overly aggressive to this point.
The Rangers committed to starting Michael Young at DH when they signed a big free agent deal with third baseman Adrian Beltre earlier this winter, but they can get Young more action at first base and move Mitch Moreland to a part-time role if Ramirez is brought aboard.
Manny posted a strong .870 OPS across 320 total plate appearances last season between the Dodgers and White Sox. He still has some power and it could be showcased well at the Ballpark in Arlington if the 38-year-old is truly motivated. He currently boasts a .315/.418/.486 career line at the cozy stadium.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)