Jan 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
On Thursday, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes filed a report claiming that free agent Manny Ramirez would likely sign with a new team by the beginning of next week. Now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com is reporting that the Rangers are “going after” him.
A couple of other clubs have been linked to Ramirez, including the Angels, Blue Jays and Rays. But Anaheim may prefer to give Vladimir Guerrero another try and the Rays are nearing an agreement with Johnny Damon. If the Rangers really want Manny, Toronto looks to be their only competition.
And the Jays haven’t been overly aggressive to this point.
The Rangers committed to starting Michael Young at DH when they signed a big free agent deal with third baseman Adrian Beltre earlier this winter, but they can get Young more action at first base and move Mitch Moreland to a part-time role if Ramirez is brought aboard.
Manny posted a strong .870 OPS across 320 total plate appearances last season between the Dodgers and White Sox. He still has some power and it could be showcased well at the Ballpark in Arlington if the 38-year-old is truly motivated. He currently boasts a .315/.418/.486 career line at the cozy stadium.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)