Jan 21, 2011, 11:31 AM EDT
On Thursday, Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes filed a report claiming that free agent Manny Ramirez would likely sign with a new team by the beginning of next week. Now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com is reporting that the Rangers are “going after” him.
A couple of other clubs have been linked to Ramirez, including the Angels, Blue Jays and Rays. But Anaheim may prefer to give Vladimir Guerrero another try and the Rays are nearing an agreement with Johnny Damon. If the Rangers really want Manny, Toronto looks to be their only competition.
And the Jays haven’t been overly aggressive to this point.
The Rangers committed to starting Michael Young at DH when they signed a big free agent deal with third baseman Adrian Beltre earlier this winter, but they can get Young more action at first base and move Mitch Moreland to a part-time role if Ramirez is brought aboard.
Manny posted a strong .870 OPS across 320 total plate appearances last season between the Dodgers and White Sox. He still has some power and it could be showcased well at the Ballpark in Arlington if the 38-year-old is truly motivated. He currently boasts a .315/.418/.486 career line at the cozy stadium.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)