Jan 21, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Yesterday I wrote about scoops regarding player transactions and the like, offering my somewhat rambling take on it all.
Today Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times has his own take, and it’s much better informed and, frankly, a lot more interesting than mine:
Readers don’t go online to read Rosenthal and Heyman for the latest in-depth, investigative feature about their particular teams. But for breaking stuff around the game of baseball, those guys are really good at it. And they’ve both done the newspaper thing — beat writing, column writing — extremely well in the past. This is just a different gig for them. And one their websites care dearly about.
Newspapers? Sure, they love to be first. But these days, more and more emphasis is being placed on getting it right.
There’s a lot more to that, including a fun anecdote which explains why I didn’t see Baker with all of us degenerates at the hotel bar during the Winter Meetings for the past couple of years.
If you’re at all interested in what people in baseball media think about baseball media, by all means, check Geoff’s take out. And yes, I promise: no more meta-content about blogging and baseball writing and stuff today. I know it gets old for some of you.
UPDATE: I lied. One more media thing: Michael S. Schmidt of the New York Times — who gets his share of scoops and has been the subject of some of my snark from time to time — is leaving the sports beat and will soon begin covering Iraq for the New York Times. Wow. That’s a far cry from baseball. Good luck, Michael, and keep your head down.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)