Jan 21, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
As soon as I posted the Nick Punto thing this morning a bunch of people observed that it was inevitable that the Cardinals would sign him soon. Tony La Russa has an addiction to scrappy infielders. He can’t help himself. SO, not surprisingly, the Cardinals just signed him.
It’s a one-year deal. We don’t have any details yet. If it’s more than a million dollars though, it’s probably too much. All that said, if healthy and if not overused, he’s useful.
I just don’t know that I would bet a lot of money on La Russa not overusing him.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 65
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15