Jan 21, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
As soon as I posted the Nick Punto thing this morning a bunch of people observed that it was inevitable that the Cardinals would sign him soon. Tony La Russa has an addiction to scrappy infielders. He can’t help himself. SO, not surprisingly, the Cardinals just signed him.
It’s a one-year deal. We don’t have any details yet. If it’s more than a million dollars though, it’s probably too much. All that said, if healthy and if not overused, he’s useful.
I just don’t know that I would bet a lot of money on La Russa not overusing him.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)