Jan 21, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
As soon as I posted the Nick Punto thing this morning a bunch of people observed that it was inevitable that the Cardinals would sign him soon. Tony La Russa has an addiction to scrappy infielders. He can’t help himself. SO, not surprisingly, the Cardinals just signed him.
It’s a one-year deal. We don’t have any details yet. If it’s more than a million dollars though, it’s probably too much. All that said, if healthy and if not overused, he’s useful.
I just don’t know that I would bet a lot of money on La Russa not overusing him.
- UPDATE: Giants believe Hunter Pence suffered broken left forearm on hit-by-pitch 1
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 7
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 136
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (137)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (88)