Jan 21, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
As soon as I posted the Nick Punto thing this morning a bunch of people observed that it was inevitable that the Cardinals would sign him soon. Tony La Russa has an addiction to scrappy infielders. He can’t help himself. SO, not surprisingly, the Cardinals just signed him.
It’s a one-year deal. We don’t have any details yet. If it’s more than a million dollars though, it’s probably too much. All that said, if healthy and if not overused, he’s useful.
I just don’t know that I would bet a lot of money on La Russa not overusing him.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)