Jan 21, 2011, 9:50 AM EDT
Hey, it doesn’t have to be a great era. An era is an era, and that counts even for the Twins’ Nick Punto:
No Twins offseason would be complete without a Nick Punto discussion.
Some of us were convinced he would be the final puzzle piece, as General Manager Bill Smith assembled the spring training roster. Punto is still a free agent, but from all indications, the Twins won’t be bringing him back.
Gleeman and I chat all day and often I’ll ping him with something like “Hey — I’m making a joke — give me the name of some random weak hitter who is inexplicably esteemed by many so I can use him in the punchline.” His response is almost always “Punto — but maybe that’s too obvious.”
Punto was useful the couple of times his average was high, but he is a career .247/.321/.322 hitting utility infielder — albeit an overused one — who has made $4 million a year recently. That’s a guy you cut bait on a long time ago in favor of a veteran who will take a minor league deal and maybe make a million bucks, max. It took the Twins a couple of years to figure that out, but now they have.
Fare thee well, Nick.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 1
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 27
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 20
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 28
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)