Jan 21, 2011, 9:50 AM EDT
Hey, it doesn’t have to be a great era. An era is an era, and that counts even for the Twins’ Nick Punto:
No Twins offseason would be complete without a Nick Punto discussion.
Some of us were convinced he would be the final puzzle piece, as General Manager Bill Smith assembled the spring training roster. Punto is still a free agent, but from all indications, the Twins won’t be bringing him back.
Gleeman and I chat all day and often I’ll ping him with something like “Hey — I’m making a joke — give me the name of some random weak hitter who is inexplicably esteemed by many so I can use him in the punchline.” His response is almost always “Punto — but maybe that’s too obvious.”
Punto was useful the couple of times his average was high, but he is a career .247/.321/.322 hitting utility infielder — albeit an overused one — who has made $4 million a year recently. That’s a guy you cut bait on a long time ago in favor of a veteran who will take a minor league deal and maybe make a million bucks, max. It took the Twins a couple of years to figure that out, but now they have.
Fare thee well, Nick.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (121)