Jan 21, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are interested in Justin Duchscherer.
The Yankees have been reported to be interested in him, and as ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported the other day, Duchscherer held private workouts with two other American League clubs last week. Zrebiec says, however, that the Orioles were not one of them. He is supposed to have another workout soon, however, and the Orioles will be there. Unless someone has their wires crossed, that means as many as four teams are at least curious.
And why wouldn’t they be? He’s likely to be relatively inexpensive. But, if he can stay healthy, he’s likely to pitch really, really well. At least if his short, pre-injury stint from last season is any indication.
Zrebiec adds that Duchscherer would like to be somewhere on the east coast so that he could be near his son, who lives in New Jersey. That doesn’t disqualify the Orioles, but it also keeps the Yankees in play for him even if New York envisions a smaller role for him than would Baltimore.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)