Jan 21, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are interested in Justin Duchscherer.
The Yankees have been reported to be interested in him, and as ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported the other day, Duchscherer held private workouts with two other American League clubs last week. Zrebiec says, however, that the Orioles were not one of them. He is supposed to have another workout soon, however, and the Orioles will be there. Unless someone has their wires crossed, that means as many as four teams are at least curious.
And why wouldn’t they be? He’s likely to be relatively inexpensive. But, if he can stay healthy, he’s likely to pitch really, really well. At least if his short, pre-injury stint from last season is any indication.
Zrebiec adds that Duchscherer would like to be somewhere on the east coast so that he could be near his son, who lives in New Jersey. That doesn’t disqualify the Orioles, but it also keeps the Yankees in play for him even if New York envisions a smaller role for him than would Baltimore.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)