Jan 21, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are interested in Justin Duchscherer.
The Yankees have been reported to be interested in him, and as ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported the other day, Duchscherer held private workouts with two other American League clubs last week. Zrebiec says, however, that the Orioles were not one of them. He is supposed to have another workout soon, however, and the Orioles will be there. Unless someone has their wires crossed, that means as many as four teams are at least curious.
And why wouldn’t they be? He’s likely to be relatively inexpensive. But, if he can stay healthy, he’s likely to pitch really, really well. At least if his short, pre-injury stint from last season is any indication.
Zrebiec adds that Duchscherer would like to be somewhere on the east coast so that he could be near his son, who lives in New Jersey. That doesn’t disqualify the Orioles, but it also keeps the Yankees in play for him even if New York envisions a smaller role for him than would Baltimore.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead