Jan 21, 2011, 6:09 AM EDT
Pop quiz hot shot! You’ve lost 90+ games for eight of the past ten years and your 2010 attendance was the lowest since you moved to your fancy new ballpark back in 1992. It’s time to set ticket prices for the coming year. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?!
For the first time since after the 2006 season, the Orioles are raising single-game ticket prices at Camden Yards. All tickets for individual games will increase — except for the cheapest, left-field, upper reserve seats which will remain at $8 and $9 — with the hikes ranging from $1 to $8 extra depending on the game desired and when the tickets are purchased. The average single-game ticket will go up $3 in 2011.
We had a garage sale once and it took me an hour to figure out how to price slightly-worn baby clothes, so I’m the last guy who can say the Orioles’ bean counters are cutting their own throats with this kind of move. When you have a zillion different price points for a zillion different types of tickets, quality of opponents, etc., making a supply and demand graph is a rather complicated proposition. As such, we can’t sit here and say that this is a dumb financial move for the Orioles. There are many moving parts, and it may very well be that this increase makes economic sense for the team no matter how much people grouse about it.
That said: people gonna be mad.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 82
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)